Cutting exhaust after muffler? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cutting exhaust after muffler?

That is really gay. Here we dont have to have cats or anything, and can have modded mufflers aswell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone said:
... todays cars emit so little CO

mmeh.. EPA states that the average "light truck" driven 14k miles in one year, will, on average, emit 900 lbs of CO.

I have my muffler taken off completly and it hasent killed me yet :thumbsup:
Also I think that ("Co" carbon monoxide) weighs more than air consedering it is a molocule of oxygen and carbon bonded together hmmm..... so the fumes you smell are unburned gas AKA hydrocarbons wich rise in the atmosphere. Now not to say they are any better for you tha Co.

now as for your questin about the cutting of the pipe IMO and also what i plan on doing is from he Y pipe I plan on runing a true dual exhaust using stock diameter pipe and exiting just in front of the tire and for mufflers I plan on using supertrapps. the neat feature about a supertrepp is the disks on the end of the pipe they are diffusers and you can tune the sound as well as the backpressure of the exhust system that will come in handy for those of you who are worried about losing low end torque from not having enough backpressure. and also for those of you in cali the spark arrestor is USFS approved :thumbsup: :thumbsup: the only drawbck is the supertrapps are a bit $$$ :eek: NATE

well i finally got around to doing it. but it wasn't just cutting it after the muffler. it was taking out one of the cats and replacing the muffler and pipe. i stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25", and changed out the raptor for a glass pack. now its loud in the inside, what i wanted. the only flumes that i can smell are the glue burning off of the labels on the pipe. :thumbsup:

I have a 4.0 2003 Eddie Bauer.. I had the flow master 40 series and it like a honda civic at high rpms... Then i put on an IMCO muffler... Sounded great... But i love LOUD! So i cut it after the IMCO MufflER! and you cant tell its a v6 what so ever... I cut it thinkin that i can run a pipe to exit in front of my rear drivers side tire... A nice Side Exit.. Which i havent seen an a expo before but i was told it could be done... So i cut it off after the muffler... SOUNDS GREAT! very beastly! but when i went to several mechanics to do a side exit exhuast, they said cause i have running boards the pipe would be to low to the ground and cant do it! does anyone here have a 2002 to 2005 expo with exhauast the exits infront of the rear tire? I dont wana posion myself with co2...

Just angle dump it.

Keith i hate to break it to you but the dumped exhaust will put fumes under your car sending them through the cabin filter and right into you... dumped exhausts are usually put on trucks and not suv's for this reason. the side exit exhausts are not worse because the send the fumes out from under the car

im not going to say i encourage the dumped exhaust because it really can send the carbon monoxide into the cab... but i think the negative effects are really small but they do exist

i have a simalar setup. my tail pipe strait rusted and fell off about 6 months ago. it does sound better but i don't know if it gave it any more power. Also CO is deadly BUT most people that get CO poisining do NOT die. I would be willing to bet if i started smokeing i would die from that first.

Keith i hate to break it to you but the dumped exhaust will put fumes under your car sending them through the cabin filter and right into you... dumped exhausts are usually put on trucks and not suv's for this reason. the side exit exhausts are not worse because the send the fumes out from under the car

im not going to say i encourage the dumped exhaust because it really can send the carbon monoxide into the cab... but i think the negative effects are really small but they do exist

Whoa, correct me if i am wrong a 91 X didn’t come with a cabin filter.

dont cut it off man, get it done right

i was thinking about doing this because i got a new flow 40 series muffler and dont want to go through the trouble of finding and paying for another tailpipe(especially when i want my flow to be as noticable as possible) but if its gonna be a big problem should i just get the money and find another tailpipe? even if i wanted another tailpipe i cant find one anywhere without a whole exhaust kit. can anybody help me with that?

no way. IMO the only good a tail pipe does is lets the state smog test it. if you dont go through smog testing then you dont need the tail pipe. actually with that said if you dont go through smog testing chop the cats off too.
But if you have a baby on bord then i would keep the tail pipe just for piece of mind.

Back