Cylinder 5 misfire / System Too Lean? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cylinder 5 misfire / System Too Lean?

mmccurley

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8 automatic

Hello, this is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right. I apologize if I'm not and I will work on learning the site better for future post. I looked through the site for the issue I am having and I could not find what I was looking for.

The issue that I'm having is that my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer is running rough. I am getting the engine light coming on and it flashes. When this happens the AC cuts out (too hot these days for that to happen)...I read in the manual that this probrably would happen to keep the engine temperature down.

I have a code reader and it is telling me:

-System Too Lean Bank 2

-Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

and occasionally it gives the code:

-Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Everything I have tried has not changed any of the codes

What I have done:

-replaced all spark plugs with Ford Dealership plugs ($20 apeice - wow)

-changed the coil pack on the #5 cylinder with a new one.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While at the dealer, did you have them run a diagnostics on the engine?

i am having the same problem with mine on cylinder 5 i have not yet found the problem but have you looked at crankshaft sensor or looked for a bad wire in the harness around the a/c,

That's what I've heard is the best way to see if it's a coil problem. If you swap coils #5 and #6 (for example), then the code-readers says #6 misfire, you know that coil is bad. If it stays at #5 misfire, the coil is good, and the problem is something else.

im not too familiar with the 4.6 but if cyl 5 is on bank 2 i would swap fuel injectors around like u would with the coil. if your #5 injector isnt puttin out enough gas then that bank wil get a lean reading from the o2 sensor and u will get a misfire.

It sounds like a coil. I had 14 coils go bad on my F150 with a 4.6 over a 7 year timeframe. I finally started buying them from Summit since they have a 1 year warranty. I always had spares and would swap a new one for the bad one and send it back to summit. It was cheaper that buying Ford coils. They are usually $30.00 each for Accel coils. They are 10 times better than the junk Visteon built for Ford. It is a terrible design.

The original post is about 9 months old, but I guess someone searching might find this useful.

Back