Dash issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chrismaya

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I've been reading through the forum here for several months. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT. It is in relatively good shape and drives well. However, I've had some problems with the dash. Here are the symptoms:
  • Dashboard lights don't work (it started with one side going out...and now they're all just out).
  • Overhead temp display stopped working.
  • Stock radio works but clock/tuning display does not work.
  • Speedometer doesn't work (most of the time), but other gauges (e.g., fuel, temp, etc.) work.
What steps should I take (in order) to determine what might be the cause?

Thanks for any help!
-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the response. I suppose that my question is whether or not you think that all of these things could be related (e.g., bad fuse, bad switch, etc.). The speedometer often works...and it often does not. The overhead lights work. However, the dash lights do not work. Those are the most important issues for me.

Any tips?

Considering it's a '95 it is possible that all 6 cluster illumination bulbs are now burnt out (my '97 had 4 bulbs out) or it might be a bad dimmer switch.

The radio and the overhead console readout are separate issues. The speedo may be a bad VSS, a wiring issue or just a worn out speedo.

The radio and the overhead console readout are separate issues. The speedo may be a bad VSS, a wiring issue or just a worn out speedo.

I should add that the speedometer has been doing this for at least six or seven years. It works about half of the time. I just noticed that it stopped working around the same time that the lights went out and overhead console stopped working.

Another issue with the radio is that I can't seem to turn it off. When I press the power button to turn it off, the radio doesn't turn off. I have to turn the volume down completely (if I don't want to hear it) and rely on the programmable buttons to know what station I am on.

Despite these issues, this '95 Ford Explorer -- with over 300,000 miles -- drives exceptionally well. I have a late-model Ford Escape (bought new) and my wife actually prefers driving this old Explorer.

I'd forget about repairing the radio display and just live with it or buy a new replacement. I think the '95's had the JBL radio, where what you see is just the head unit and the real guts are in the RH cargo area. All 4 of my Gen II SUV's (two 2000 Mountaineers & two 2000/2001 Explorers) had the Pioneer Audiophile sound systems, with the 6 disc CD changer, AMP and sub woofer in the rear. All four radio displays were out (this always happened with the Audiophile radios). The PO of the '01 Expl had the display repaired, but I just installed a non-Audiophile Explorer radio in one Mountaineer, one that still works with the steering wheel mounted controls and CD changer, but doesn't run the AMP and sub woofer. I and bothered with the other two vehicles. The overhead displays have two 510 resistors which get hot and eventually break their solder joints. Easy repair.

Concerning the radio, it seems to be an issue with most of the Pioneer radios Ford used in that era. My 98 had the same issue with illumination. I got a slightly newer "Alpine" unit from a Lincoln as a replacement, which works with my steering wheel buttons, CD changer, and Sub.
I just replaced all my dash lights a few weeks ago with LEDs as they were all burned out. Not sure if they were ever changed over the past 375k miles, but it is an easy process.
Unfortunately, while checking the polarity of the LEDs, I shorted the printed circuit board out on the right side, and now when I use the right turn indicator, it flashes the right side dash lights and alternates the front turn lights!

I don't believe a '95 would have come with a Pioneer radio (I think they had JBL or JCV units). For the Pioneer units, Dorman makes a replacement power board, but it does not work to fix the display on the hi-end Pioneer radios with the RDS button and the 6-disc CD changer (I've tried it).

Thanks for all of the input.

Does anyone know what would cause the speedometer to work/not work intermittently? It's been doing this for several years.

I had assumed that all of these things were related. However, the idea that the dash lights might only be bad bulbs and the ceiling console issue being something unrelated, it still makes me wonder what would cause this problem.

All of the other gauges work (even when the speedometer doesn't).

Thanks for all of the input.

Does anyone know what would cause the speedometer to work/not work intermittently? It's been doing this for several years.

I had assumed that all of these things were related. However, the idea that the dash lights might only be bad bulbs and the ceiling console issue being something unrelated, it still makes me wonder what would cause this problem.

All of the other gauges work (even when the speedometer doesn't).
Speedometers don't connect to the other gauges. It is driven off of the VSS. The VSS should have 2 channels, one goes to the speedometer and the other feeds the PCM. It seems that on every make / model the speedometer side is the one that always goes out first. A new VSS is about $10 on the net, unless you have the digital dash.

I should add that the speedometer has been doing this for at least six or seven years. It works about half of the time. I just noticed that it stopped working around the same time that the lights went out and overhead console stopped working.

Another issue with the radio is that I can't seem to turn it off. When I press the power button to turn it off, the radio doesn't turn off. I have to turn the volume down completely (if I don't want to hear it) and rely on the programmable buttons to know what station I am on.

Despite these issues, this '95 Ford Explorer -- with over 300,000 miles -- drives exceptionally well. I have a late-model Ford Escape (bought new) and my wife actually prefers driving this old Explorer.

Those radio encoder switches fail like that, 95-97 have very unique audio. There are 4 different radios and they are quite different, even if they look similar. I had the issue on other cars too. You can't click it off. I doubt you would be able to find a repair part at this point. As for the screen, these usually don't fail that way and you would need a good eye for electronics to repair it. Either live with it or replace with a touchscreen!

I can probably provide wiring diagrams, they should be the same for an 95 as a 96. There is a site too that has them, I forget the name. It is likely the overhead console is damaged, I was not able to use the repair trick in the thread because the older overhead consoles are very different electronically. If you can verify it has power with the meter, it probably has to be replaced. There are always nickle and dime things I'm replacing to keep everything working. I think the console was a $25 NOS part.

Like others said the speedo is probably spent. Does the odometer count when the speedo don't work? If it does it is mechanically shot and not the vss. You would have to get a new cluster, they are probably a dime a dozen. Would also have new bulbs too. You could probably adjust the mileage too, you would likely have to remove the needle.

Yes, these trucks do drive well if they are maintained! All of the above are first world problems :lol:

Back