• Register Today It's free!

dashboard light bulb replacement

hunsam

Reaction score
City, State
Yerevan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Any idea of the easyest way to replace the dashboard light bulb !!! Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya gotta get behind the instrument cluster. There are several steps to the job, but definitely doable. Do a search in this forum. While you're in there you may as well replace ALL the bulbs (#194's I think)...if one's gone the others will soon follow.

Most importantly, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait about 15 minutes to avoid an accidental driver's side airbag deployment. You'll be sitting right there doing the work and if that airbag goes off it could break your neck!

they arent that hard to do. about and hour tops and thats takin your sweet time. even if the battery is disconnected the air bag could still deploy.

That's a good link. Make sure you read step 9:
Step 9
Tilt the Cluster back and remove the Shift Indicator from the cluster, there are 2 plastic tabs that must be held on each side to remove the indicator.
Disconnect the 3 wiring harness from behind the cluster, then remove the Cluster

Removing the PRNDL indicator is a bit of a pita. You have to squeeze the 2 tabs inward.

Thanks guys, it was really helpful. I will do it on week end. Gary, the link was super. I owe you all a bottle of Armenian brandy :))

Just FYI for anyone reading the thread- You really don't need to remove the shift indicator to change the bulbs... When you tilt the cluster forward to do that, just change the bulbs there.

Back