Dead ECU?

Jon Burns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 V6
My '97 Ex has thrown a fit and as they say "failed to proceed". I was on my way back from a trip to Wales when without any warning the engine died and would not restart although it would turn over. All the usual warning lights are present on turning the key EXCEPT the check engine light which does not come on at all. Having got the car home I connected my Auto Xray to see what codes were present but it will only say that it has failed to connect.
This would seem to point to a dead ECU.

Here's a couple of questions for the forum:

Does any one have any other idea as to what could be causing this?

Does anyone know of a suitable mobile diagnostic outfit who would come out and take a look at the car, bearing in mind that I'm in the West Midlands?

Where is the ECU located on a '97 UK spec Right Hand Drive Explorer?

And... how hard is it to remove?

Any thoughts, ideas and commiserations gratefully received.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am guessing the ECU is under the hood.
You should check all your fuses under the hood first, check for voltage at the battery too.
does the check engine light come on when you first turn the key?

410Fortune,

No, the check engine light is not there at all. That's the strange thing. It is completely missing as though the bulb is burnt out (which it may be). But it's a bit of a coincidence if it is.

Jon

conincidence city :) Sounds to me like the PCM is not getting power from the battery
there is an EEC fuse (PCM same thing) check it.

Check the battery cables and grounds also the grounds near the computer on the main harness.

I have had PCM's completely fail before, but never as you describe, typically they set about 12 codes and just act funny, your sounds more like a power to the computer issue. When they do go bad I notced they smell like burnt electrical too, might try sniffing your computer (remove wiring harness, 10mm socket, sniff )

Well I'm probably not going to be able to get to it until the weekend but thanks for the ideas. I have something to go on although I still need to know where the damn thing is.

It's 11:00 pm now here so I'm off to get some shut eye.

Thanks again.

should be on the firewall near your heater box, under the hood :)

I agree about checking the fuses and relays. Look at and check all of the main connections, cables, and connectors.

The PCM(powertrain control module) is located in the firewall, at the top just below the hood. A 10mm socket will get the connector and/or the PCM out.

BTW, does your theft light flash while cranking, or just remain lit while cranking? If it does flash that's bad, and hints at the PATS module. Mine has intermittantly caused "no starting", and each time the theft light does flash.

The PATS module checks the ignition key each time. Any time it doesn't recognize a match between the PCM and key code, it interrupts fuel pump power. Good luck,

Attachments

• IAC sensor pic.JPG
    IAC sensor pic.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 597

On ours the ECU is hidden behind a shield on the bulkhead to the pasenger side. (see picture). I would certainly check the fuses first.

Attachments

• Engine1.JPG
    Engine1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 485

hahah the ABS pump is still on the Drivers side! hahaha Ford....lets move 90% of everything to the other side, but not this...what side is the gas tank on and the exhaust????

Great post about the PATS! ;)

The gas tank and exhaust are unchanged from yours. Except for us it is the passenger side for the tank so no sagging. :D

wait a second, the tank in unchanged but its on the passenger side? :confused:

I would delete my post but its too funny :) Early morning brain fart!

Was Dead ECU - Should be dead PCM - right?

Thanks to you all for the useful posts I shall be out there early on Saturday morning defying death (I live on a very busy road and checking the fuses in the fuse box involves being very close to the white line down the middle of the street). Hopefully it is going to be a blown fuse. If not I at least now know where to look to get at the PCM. Thanks again. On the subject of fuses can I assume that the fuses are all of the standard bladed type - fullsized or mini - or will I come across other types too?

THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD is the one you want, the fuses are LARGE blade style, at least the ones in question.

There are two sizes under the hood, and the inside fuses are in the left side of the dash.
Your dash fuses may be in the right side of the dash(open the door, the surface which is covered by the door). You need the owner's manual, the main under hood boxes have descriptions on the covers, the inside do not.
Interesting what Ford does to make right hand drives, RHD's. Good luck,

Dead PCM

Just a fast update on progress so far. Checked the fuse, blown. Replaced it, turned key, dash lit up, CEL reappeared, so far so good. Engine starts and runs. Moved vehicle far enough to block neighbours driveway and the fuse blows - DOH! Explained dilemma to neighbour "home in middle of day". Understanding :) Removed PCM "easy" :) :) :) So off back to the mine now via the Prince of Darkness's shop (Joe Lucas). Hopefully they can get it checked for serviceability before I have to go buy one on spec.

Many thanks again to all you guys for the words of advice without which I would be clueless.

Cheers

Jon

The EEC fuse blew correct?
If the computer checks out then we are looking for a wiring issue (dead short)

Welcome to the Third World

Once again my fellow countrymen (present company excepted) amaze me. "Sorry ,Guv'nor but they can't check a Ford whaddya call it H'explorers PCM" (all said in a Dick Van Dyke ****ney accent) "because it's too new". (It's off a 9 Year old car for Christmas sake). No wonder the Empire was lost.

Now my choices are limited. The following questions come to mind:

1. Do I assume that the blowing PCM fuse -30 amps- is indicative of a faulty PCM and therefore go and obtain a new one.
:mad: :mad: :mad: Big Bucks.

2. Is the blown fuse purely a wiring issue which could be resolved by application of a test lamp etc? And that the PCM I have is in reality OK.

3. Surely someone out there can test a PCM (But they need to be in the UK)? Being in Spokane Washington sadly won't do.

Keep the good ideas coming chaps I think I am going to need them.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the PCM has two power inputs, constant (from EEC fuse) and then a feed from the ignition switch.
It also has a ground feed in, and ground feeds out (to sensors)

if any of these have a dead short in the circuit your PCM will blow the fuse.

Try searching, you are not the first ot have the EEC fuse blowing issue.Does the computer itself smell burnt? (like electrical burn)

Back