Dead ECU? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead ECU?

410Fortune,

No smell of burning even with PCM in a zip lock bag all afternoon (and my nose jammed in the bag too - not all afternoon tho' :D ).

Searching next.

Thanks

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PCM usually doesn't fail, unless caused by a wiring issue. The problem is likely from something else, and the fuse is blowing to protect the PCM.

If you can, check for proper current and voltage at the fuses and relays. But first look generally throughout the path of the wiring. Check for any wiring which looks damaged, or too near moving or hot parts. The engine wiring is all intact on the engine, the under hood harness connects everything under the hood, to the engine and PCM. The interior harness is less likely to be damaged, etc.

Hopefully you can find the problem from inspection, but then testing circuits or components follows. Good luck,

YES YOU START LOOKING at the battery terminals and the + and - feeds from them (the + ones that go to the power distrbution box)

check all sensor plugs you can see, wire loom, etc

It's Alive!!

Went out early this morning armed with fuses, the PCM and sundry electrical repair kit, to see if I could track down the cause of all the misery. As I was replacing the PCM I noticed an exposed portion of the loom (wiring harness)where it had rubbed through on a metal pipe. A quick fix with electrical tape and once the 30 amp pcm fuse was swapped out it all fired up and has been running OK ever since (I've covered some 40 miles this am). I've also moved the loom safely out of harms way and fixed it securely in its new home.

It just remains for me to thank all of you guys here on the board for providing help and ideas.

Many thanks

Jon

Ditto, the easy minor fixes are the ones that make up for the awful complicated repairs. Regards,

Back