Dealership responsibilities regarding TSB's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealership responsibilities regarding TSB's

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
Hoping that perhaps Cory can chime in on this also....

What is the dealerships responsibilities when it comes to TSB's and a vehicle still under warranty?

On several occasions I have inquired with my local dealership about issues I have that are very well documented under TSB's, such as the streaking windows. And I'm not sure if the windsheild noise has a TSB or not, anyway....my dealerships response to me....."It's a TSB, not a recall" and they go on to tell me that they are under no obligation to fix it without a recall even with the vehicle under warranty. I know that it may very well be an individual dealership lack of customer service issue, but its very frustrating to get the sense from them that they basically expect me to just deal with the issue. Or to hear the "if we can't duplicate it, we can't fix it" response.....

My local dealership is 10 minutes away. I don't particularly want to have to drive farther to another dealer to get something resolved, especially the EX being my only vehicle, I can't afford a rental, and my local dealer doesn't do loaners.

I found another dealership closer to work that I had an oil change done at, they seem better, but I have not talked to them about TSB's, but, they are almost 30 miles away from home.....

Any ideas to kick my local dealership into gear to resolve these issues without hassling me about it?

Anyone in SoCal got a better dealership to try? My local dealership is in Buena Park.....the dealership by my work is South Bay........perhaps one that does loaners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my dealer, all the TSB are automatically uploaded to the work order prior to the work commencing.

my understanding was that a tsb was basically a "we are aware of this issue", and if you were having the issue, it should get fixed as long as you are under warranty... the main difference between a tsb and recall, again, as is my understanding,w as that a recall is generally safety related and they have to fix the issue whether you are in warranty or not... with TSB its more just a notice to their mechanics that they know that something exists and typically includes information from them on how to fix it.

So then it's basically just my local dealership not wanting to deal with TSB issues?

I have the same issue, only a regional customer service manager also told me that they could not repair the issue unless a tech could reproduce it (despite the TSB explicitly stating "intermittent")

Hoping that perhaps Cory can chime in on this also...

What is the dealerships responsibilities when it comes to TSB's and a vehicle still under warranty?...

Any ideas to kick my local dealership into gear to resolve these issues without hassling me about it?...
cnsheets,

I’m not a technician and can’t speak to what’s covered under warranty. I want to offer my help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do that, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

I have the same issue, only a regional customer service manager also told me that they could not repair the issue unless a tech could reproduce it...
w1kedz,

I want to see your concern resolved once and for all. Please let me know via PM if I can arrange a follow-up call.

Cory

Hoping that perhaps Cory can chime in on this also....

What is the dealerships responsibilities when it comes to TSB's and a vehicle still under warranty?

On several occasions I have inquired with my local dealership about issues I have that are very well documented under TSB's, such as the streaking windows. And I'm not sure if the windsheild noise has a TSB or not, anyway....my dealerships response to me....."It's a TSB, not a recall" and they go on to tell me that they are under no obligation to fix it without a recall even with the vehicle under warranty. I know that it may very well be an individual dealership lack of customer service issue, but its very frustrating to get the sense from them that they basically expect me to just deal with the issue.

Skip that dealership.

A better example of customer service is shown at my Lexus dealership. The don't require that the problem is reproduced in front of them. They just need the customer to explain the problem and they record on paperwork "customer states that such and such a problem exists" and reference the TSIB to inititate the work. That is how top-rated dealer service is handled w/TSIB's.

Recalls are another topic.

Cory-

Does the dealership need to reproduce the issue to get warranty coverage? Even for intermittent problems?

Took our Ex in today for 2 issues:
1) grinding brakes
2) random wipes when rain sensor is ON

Both problems are known, and known to be intermittent (and covered by TSBs), but they didn't fix either issue.
1) They actually heard the brake noise, but it "Went away after they warmed them up a bit" - I could have told them that!
2) The wipers never randomly triggered, so they won't do anything. How will I ever get them to fix that issue when it often doesn't happen for a week, and then all of a sudden it happens several times a day for 2-3 days in a row?

Rich

You need to find yourself a good dealer. As I have posted here before my dealer treats customers right. Return business.... means a lot

I agree. But there are only 2 dealers in town, both owned by the same company.
So really only 1 dealer, I guess.

Skip that dealership.

A better example of customer service is shown at my Lexus dealership. The don't require that the problem is reproduced in front of them. They just need the customer to explain the problem and they record on paperwork "customer states that such and such a problem exists" and reference the TSIB to inititate the work. That is how top-rated dealer service is handled w/TSIB's.

Recalls are another topic.

Service bulletins are not recalls, and not all cars in question are having a problem. Lexus isn't the best comparison, because they have an enormous budget for such dealer cost reimbursements. I know you don't want to hear this, but it's the way it is.
My dealer is Ted Britt in Virginia and they bend over backwards for me.

Service bulletins are not recalls, and not all cars in question are having a problem. Lexus isn't the best comparison, because they have an enormous budget for such dealer cost reimbursements. I know you don't want to hear this, but it's the way it is.

No kidding TSIBs are not recalls, that's exactly what I said, "recalls are another topic", and nobody said all cars in question are having a problem.

Lexus is a valid comparison realizing it reflects best of best, so it becomes a benchmark. We all know non-premium car service will be different, we are discussing TSIB's here (and I have provided an example of how the best in customer service handles TSIB's with customer).

It is nice your dealership is bending over backwards (gymnastics maybe), but we are discussing service department handling of TSIBs.

No kidding TSIBs are not recalls, that's exactly what I said, "recalls are another topic", and nobody said all cars in question are having a problem.

Lexus is a valid comparison realizing it reflects best of best, so it becomes a benchmark. We all know non-premium car service will be different, we are discussing TSIB's here (and I have provided an example of how the best in customer service handles TSIB's with customer).

It is nice your dealership is bending over backwards (gymnastics maybe), but we are discussing service department handling of TSIBs.

Thanks for helping me understand such a complex topic.

I have owned Lincolns and Lexus's. I got the same disinterested service with all of the lincolns at multuple dealerships that we get with explorers. I currently have a Toyota, Lexus, and 2011 Explorer. The service approach at the Toyota dealership is virtually as good as I get at Lexus and far superior to any Ford dealership I have used.

I have owned Lincolns and Lexus's. I got the same disinterested service with all of the lincolns at multuple dealerships that we get with explorers. I currently have a Toyota, Lexus, and 2011 Explorer. The service approach at the Toyota dealership is virtually as good as I get at Lexus and far superior to any Ford dealership I have used.
I think it depends on the individual dealership. I had 3 Highlanders over a 10 year period and service was very good with the exception of the last few months that I had the '09. It was not up to what I expected. I have only been with my current Ford dealership since March and they have been outstanding in every department. Based on my personal experience, the 10 months that I have dealt with the Ford dealership are much better than the last 10 months spent at Toyota.

Peter

I think it depends on the individual dealership. I had 3 Highlanders over a 10 year period and service was very good with the exception of the last few months that I had the '09. It was not up to what I expected. I have only been with my current Ford dealership since March and they have been outstanding in every department. Based on my personal experience, the 10 months that I have dealt with the Ford dealership are much better than the last 10 months spent at Toyota.

Peter

I certainly think that the expectations of the owner of the dealership has lot to do with the service performance. My current Toyota dealership recently opened a body shop. The people in it act just like those in the regular dealership, which is excellent.

I think we can see from the comments on this forum that dealership performance level varies greatly. Someone told me once that Ford has less power over it's dealers than the the foreign companies as far as dictating behavior standards.

Thanks for helping me understand such a complex topic.

You are welcome, a need was noted, lol, when stated "TSB's are not recalls" followed by "dealer bending over backwards". No need for complexity.

...Does the dealership need to reproduce the issue to get warranty coverage? Even for intermittent problems?

1) grinding brakes
2) random wipes when rain sensor is ON...
Skip that dealership...
You need to find yourself a good dealer...
Rich,

You have the option to go to another dealer to resolve the concern, like EX-SV & chimoman said. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not a technician so I can’t confirm what would be covered under warranty.

I want to see that this is taken care of for you. I can help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, VIN, and mileage.

Cory

Cory-

Does the dealership need to reproduce the issue to get warranty coverage? Even for intermittent problems?

1) grinding brakes
2) random wipes when rain sensor is ON

Both problems are known, and known to be intermittent (and covered by TSBs), but they didn't fix either issue.
1) They actually heard the brake noise, but it "Went away after they warmed them up a bit" - I could have told them that!
2) The wipers never randomly triggered, so they won't do anything. How will I ever get them to fix that issue when it often doesn't happen for a week, and then all of a sudden it happens several times a day for 2-3 days in a row?

Rich
I had the same problem with the random wipes pratically from day 1 back in March. It was never enough to really bother me but early last week (Jan. 3) I called the dealership to book an appointment to have this corrected. I gave them the TSB # over the phone but the young service advisor said that they would have to check it out first before ordering the part and booked an appointment for Jan. 6. About 10 minutes later he called back and said that he had been advised to order the part and install it when I come in. I was there for a total of about 45 minutes and most of that time was waiting to get the Explorer washed and dried which they do with every service. Incidently, I had 3 random wipes just as I pulled into the customer service bay.
Note on invoice said; Replaced Rain Sensor Assy per TSB 11-11-12
Part # BT4Z*17D547*B

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

random wipe fix

I had the same problem with the random wipes pratically from day 1 back in March. It was never enough to really bother me but early last week (Jan. 3) I called the dealership to book an appointment to have this corrected. I gave them the TSB # over the phone but the young service advisor said that they would have to check it out first before ordering the part and booked an appointment for Jan. 6. About 10 minutes later he called back and said that he had been advised to order the part and install it when I come in. I was there for a total of about 45 minutes and most of that time was waiting to get the Explorer washed and dried which they do with every service. Incidently, I had 3 random wipes just as I pulled into the customer service bay.
Note on invoice said; Replaced Rain Sensor Assy per TSB 11-11-12
Part # BT4Z*17D547*B

Peter

Have you noticed any difference in the sensitivity when it is actually raining?
I like the way mine works now even though I have some stray wipes. I am concerned that the new sensor might be less sensitive thus make the function not as good.

Thanks,

Back