Desert Gold Mine Discovery Run - June 8th | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert Gold Mine Discovery Run - June 8th

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
Here is the F.Y.I. on a trail run that's happening on June 8th out at Joshua Tree National Park. It will be a day-long run with plenty of technical trails containing rocks and washouts along the trail. This run should be considered 'moderate' to 'difficult', but it is definitely not 'most difficult' or 'extreme.' If your rig is built for rocks, then this is the run for you!

"Desert Gold Mines Exploration"
June 8th - free (10 a.m. - 7 p.m.) - Joshua Tree National Park -
Starting point: Cottonwood Ranger Station @ 10 a.m.
For info: Contact - The Desert Outlaw [Ken] at - the_desert_outlaw@deserttrance.com or (909) 255-1589

We will explore the Gold Mines and Mining operations just outside the park boundaries on BLM land that took place over the past 100 years.
Anyone is invited, but to travel these roads, a sturdy, high-clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle is a must. Please bring 1 gallon of water, per person as this will be a rough, 1 day outting. Afterwards, we will take a swim at Desert Dan's place in Downtown Palm Springs and have a kick back for anyone who is interested.

Thank you,

-Ken Cooke (a.k.a. "Outlaw")

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

June 8

Ken,

I'm interested in this run, but don't know my schedule yet, (I'm scheduled off duty, but that is subject to change:( .. Also the wife thinks it could be too hot, so I'll have to locate another co-pilot, so I guess i=I'm a definate maybe;)

Co-Pilots

My wife is already complaining about the heat, but our rigs all have A/C, so I didn't think it would be much of a problem? The mines that we consider 'safe' are all nice and cool inside - a great place to eat lunch, and tell jokes. The elevation in the region of the park is approx. 2,000 ft., so it won't be blazing hot, but it should be around 100 deg.
There will probably be a Professor/Geologist coming along, and this gentleman will be able to offer additional input with regard to mining, mineral extraction, etc. I have several books relating to this subject, but the information is extremely dense, and someone with a specialty in this area could explain these concepts in lay terms more easily to all of us...

Sounds like fun. However, seeing as its the week after Moab, its tough to know whether I (or the rig) will be able to make it.

Same as jefe for me as well. Except I dont have any AC in my truck. It quit working and will be becoming an air compressor for tires and impacts soon.

Matt

Is a change of date in order? [May 4th]

We could change the date to the middle of May if that would satisfy most people's needs. I thought a 2 month lead time would be helpful, but if others would like to join in, I think May 4th would be a good possibility. I'm going out next weekend (instead of hitting 'COACHELLA') to prerun everything with Starsailor. Let me know what you think about this date.

May 4 no good for me. ll still be in school. Also just got an inventation to a friends wedding on June 8 so it looks like eather trip wont work for me

Matt

Hopefully!

Will this be a "lockers" run? I might be interested. I sure like tooing around Joshua Tree, so long as the trails aren't too rough.

May 4th *AND* June 8th!

We'll run both dates to meet everyone's needs (except RockRanger - sorry, man). May 4th will concentrate mainly on the 'run. We'll take as many mining trails as we can fit in one day. On June 8th, it will be more of a tour of the mines with explanations of both the boom towns and the ordeals that the miners went through - more on the educational end of things. I think by concentrating one date towards 'wheeling and the other date towards the true mining aspect of things, we will be able to meet more peoples needs.
As for the type of rig that will be needed. I believe that the driver makes up the equation more than the equipment. But, an open differentialed rig with tires no smaller than 31's will make it through these trails without too much trouble. Lower gears, and taller tires will help you avoid the type of punishment these mining roads can deliver. Clearance will be an issue for everyone, but this issue can be avoided with proper tire placement - making driver experience paramount over 35's and lockers.

Roadkill's Rig

Roadkill,

Thankfully, you have an Explorer with the TTB frontend. Our friend Starsailor who used to have his '96 had tons of trouble with trails like these, but surprisingly his "new" Nissan Hardbody pickup with 31s and tall gearing did just fine on the trail. He had some nervous moments, but we both made it out of that canyon alright!
Don't anyone worry - it'll be more fun than anything else.

Fun for All!

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I've chased J33ps too many times to get into situations that exploders struggle with. I like some challenge, but wanted to be sure this wasn't a black diamond locker run.

Sure want to make the run!

Black Diamond Runs

I've chased after the Jeeps, and they've chased after me. On the Tri-County Gear Snow Run in the San Bernardinos in 2000, I was relegated to driving beside a full-size Bronco the entire run, because the Jeeps like to drive together. One of the event organizers told me that once a guy showed up with a Ford Ranger, and he never came back! I didn't let that faze me, and my Ranger was climbing up obstacles that CJs and TJs were sliding up and bottoming out on.
I don't have the rock slider bars yet, so I'm not doing the super hardcore stuff in my daily driver. But, I can hold my own now that my diffs are stuffed with 4.56's.

Who cares how hot it is? The hottest part of the day is spent underground in the mines, which are a constant 65-70 degrees year round. I will be out there on June 3rd, and if I don't see you guys on the third, I'll meet up for sure on the 4th.

--Sean

May 4th Pre-Run Rollcall

Okay everybody,
Please post if you will be able to meet up at CottonWood Ranger Station this Saturday between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Our plans include some horizontal and vertical mineshaft exploring, and some medium-action trails that should challenge most drivers and rigs. Desert Spive and another fellow by the name of Joel plan to bring along climbing gear, and this should be a rather interesting affair...

May 4

Ken,

As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to make May 4th, already got 3 conflicting events that week end as it is, but I'm still planning on June 8th:cool:

Co-Pilot for June 8!

Ken, and all,

Got a Co-Pilot lined up for June 8, My nephew say he'll go along, 'cause he has never been to J.T.

Is anyone up for Camping overnite and returning the 9th, leaving J.T. about noon.... just a thought.

Ken, do you know of a good info source about J.T. and the area, since I've only driven through.

Looking forward to the trip, as it will give me and my nephew a chance to hang a bit before he leaves for a year working in New Zealand :)

Ray,

It's going to be *Hot* for camping, but with the way the temperatures have been on the cool side lately, perhaps they will remain this way before the heat blankets the High Desert area.
As far as "info" goes, what sort of information are you asking about? Restaurants? Old Mining Towns? As far as literature goes, the Cottonwood Visitors Center just off of I-10 east of Indio, CA has several titles that can provide information about the park and its past.
There are several mines I would like to poke around in. We didn't get a chance to look around Golden Egg mine, and that is one spot you can actually walk in horizontally. This mine is fairly intact, and is in good shape. Also, I am impressed by "OK Mine" the most. Although we've stopped there a few times already, it was in great shape due to the narrow dirt road you must negotiate in order to get back into the park. Also, those boulders in the middle of the trail make things a little tricky too.
I would like to check out the Brooklyn Mine area since that is supposed to be a 4 wheelers challenge. Rick checked this area out on his last visit, and I am curious to see what he thinks about the rocks shrewn in the canyon on this trail.
I'll look forward to seeing you in the park Ray, and anyone else who is inclined to get some dust on their Fords!

Info

Thanks Ken, for the speedy reply. The camping thing was just a thought, and yes we'll definitely keep a watch on the weather.

As for the info, I was interested in general things like maps showing the camping areas, OR trails etc. Right after I posted the question ( I thought maybe you had a book or??? that you might recommend) I logged onto the JT Nat.Park website, and that was helpful, also I think I remember the Auto Club having something, So I'll check there soon too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TOPO Maps?

Ray,

I believe a topo map of the area loaded on a laptop will give you the most possible info regarding trails and mine locations as possible. There is a book named "Mines of the High Desert" published by La Siesta press. It is available in the Cottonwood Visitors Center, or you can hunt it down online. That and several other books on Joshua Tree. The only problem with these general interest books is that they leave so much info out for the general travelers who seldom venture off pavement. Sometimes these tourists do go offroad, and thats on shock-rattling washboard roads in their Jettas and Buicks! Yikes!

Back