difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers

tantrac

Reaction score
City, State
Quinton Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac 4x2
I just installed a new HU, amp and sub in my truck and now im looking into speakers. I was wondering what the difference is between a 2-way and a 3-way speaker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what ive noticed, 3 way speakers have an extra tweeter. But its so damn small (Usually the size of a nickel or penny), that I honestly dont think you can tell a difference.

I have Orion 2 ways up front and love them. I have closely priced Sony 3 ways in the back, and the Orions kick the Sonys' *****.

*If you have them amped maybe that little extra tweeter helps, but ive never had my door speakers amped.

This is your classic 2 way.
Cone speaker (Mids)
Tweeter (Highs)
DSC01491.jpg

This picture has a 3 way on the right, and a 4 way on the left.
DSC01491.jpg

Notice the extremely small extra tweeters.

ok, thanks. i've been reading about people using both 2 way and 3 way speakers and I never really understood the difference. I'm currently looking into some 3 ways.

No problem; there are better 3 ways, that actually have two full size tweeters, but they dont really seem to popular.

i woiuld suggest goin with the 2 ways, then wiring in a 1 inch tweeter, you can find them really really cheap.. you get much better sound quality that way

I may just do that. I just got to figure out how to install the tweeters.

i got (4) 2 way kickers. and (6) quantum audio 35w tweeters. my brother with his bagged s-10 hates his 3 way pioneers... and his have the built in crossovers..

the best way to describe the difference is better diffusion between sound frequencies. one ways have to diffuse through the audible spectrum 60hz to 20 khz, three ways have 3 independent cones, one producing lows, one mids, one highs. unless you have premium wiring and a top shelf deck and amp, or unless you a re true audiophile, you wont hear the difference with the 3 ways, stick with a solid brand 2 way set up. they will do the job at a fair price.

The differences between 3-ways vary by manufacturer.

Pioneer and a few others have a 3-way as a Woofer, Tweeter, and a "Super Tweeter" for higher frequences. (Their 4-ways have an even smaller tweeter for ultra-high frequences)

A "real" 3 way has a woofer, midrange, and tweeter, where a 2-way usually just has the woofer for the lows and tweeter for the highs.

3-ways are usually better sounding since a LOT of music is in the midrange (especially vocals), and so a speaker with a woofer to handle the lows, midrange for the middle, and tweeters for the highs usually sounds the best.

But that's for a speaker-only system.

If you add in a subwoofer to handle the lows, the woofers of the speakers become the midrange drivers, or at least they are free from the hard work of driving the lower bass frequencies (using crossovers or filters), so you get cleaner lower-mid and middle frequencies from them. Then you just need the tweeter for the highs.

There are also plenty of examples where a really, really good 2-way speaker will sound much, much better than a 3-way or 4-way.

3-way/4-way speakers are probably the ones to get if you either need the power handling but don't want expensive 2-ways or components, or will just be using the speakers, without a sub.

Thanks for all the insight! This whole audio project that I have gotten myself into has been quite eye opening. I'm real thankful to have this forum to help me with this undertaking.

Back