differences betwen a 96 & 97 explorer 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

differences betwen a 96 & 97 explorer 4x4?

I am looking into buying a used Explorer 4x4, are there differences that I should consider?

I want to eventually add a 4" lift and 3" body lift. Want front/rear lockers and tires in the 33-35 10.5 wide range. (with proper gear sets)

Is there big parts issues betwen a 96 or 97 for aftermarket parts?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so but I don't know

¿Is that when they changed the body style? If so YES, if not, if it already has the rounded front headlike looking body style (both of them) then the thing to look at is if there are coilspirngs or not on both of them. If there is on one and not on the other there will be major differences.

one major diffrence is in the 4x4 system in the 96 is 2hi 4 auto and 4 lo in the 97 is auto 4 hi and 4 lo the body styles are basically the same

Originally posted by dman726749
one major diffrence is in the 4x4 system in the 96 is 2hi 4 auto and 4 lo in the 97 is auto 4 hi and 4 lo the body styles are basically the same

He hit it right on the nose! Plus the axle disconnect for when its in 2HI. I think the only other changes in '97 were the introduction of the SOHC(don't get!!) and some had black tint in the rear instead of the refrective.

Suspension and body style was all the same. BTW- Front has torsion bars, not coils.

>>4x4 system in the 96 is 2hi 4 auto and 4 lo in the 97 is auto 4 hi and 4 lo

Are there any disadvantages with either for front lockers? Isnt one of these vacum activated 4wd?

They do have lockers for the front right?

Thanks!

Originally posted by joe_dejesus
>>4x4 system in the 96 is 2hi 4 auto and 4 lo in the 97 is auto 4 hi and 4 lo

Are there any disadvantages with either for front lockers? Isnt one of these vacum activated 4wd?

They do have lockers for the front right?

Thanks!

'95 and '96 have the vacuum disconnect in the front. If you go with a '97 you'll have to do the brown wire mod(search for it). I do believe they make a locker for us with the IFS.

Let me re-fraze...

wich system allows 4wd low or hi usage without front axle engaging off and on (like driving in SAND)

If you want to lock the front go with the '96. Brown wire mod isnt that hard and if you dont mind doing it then get atleast a '98. They do have a front locker now its made by Powertrax. There is a write up in the "Drivelines Forum" on here done by GJarret. Good luck and we look forward to seeing the X.

>>get atleast a '98.

why a 98??? (sorry for so manny questions)

If you want 4HI go with a '97+ and do the brown wire mod if you lock the front. Stay away from the 4.0L SOHC's until about '99-'00. Was that when they improved it? I dunno about getting a '98 over the '97?

I think

I think my 4.0 SOHC is just fine. It doesn't necessarily Jump off the line with power. But it seems to be some what sufficient. That is to say I will do the KKM intake (what is that exaclty by the way and is it better than the K&N intake system?) And maybe some exhaust work. I would love a supercharger (I know they still don't make it for the 4.O SOHC just yet) but I can't get one and don't even have the money. Hey, I have a question of my own. I have 29" "all terrains" (those factory pieces of junk actually the ones that took the place of the ones that were recalled (I think) I am thinking of buying a set of used (only about half way maybe just a lil less) Buckshot 31x10.50 mud tires. Will I notice a HUGE difference. Or should I just wait until after graduation, do the TT, Shackles and 2"BL or 4"suslift and 32's or 33's. Eventually I will do that but for now will I notice a huge difference with just 31x10.5's?

I think my 4.0 SOHC is just fine.
I would love a supercharger (I know they still don't make it for the 4.O SOHC just yet)
People don't dislike the SOHC because it is slow. It is nmuch faster than an OHV. People dislike them because they have design flaws in the Cam tensioners that Ford will fight you to fix. I doubt you will see a mass produced charger for the SOHC. The SOHC motor wouldn't take well to the higher compression, I believe. Going from a street tire to an offroad tire 2 inches bigger will make quite a difference.(The tires on your Ex were never recalled, by the way)

a minor additional change was the read hatchdoor went from that carpal tunnel handle to a reach up and under squeeze handle, right? I know it's on the 98s, but if 97 was the big change, it may have been in effect then as well.

Originally posted by joe_dejesus
>>get atleast a '98.

why a 98??? (sorry for so manny questions)

Like sunbum said the rear hatch is different, and looks much better. That is 98-00 or 01? I was just saying if your not gonna go the '96 then go newer than '97.

I guess my first question should have been, Are you looking for a V6 or V8?

wich ever uses less gas (city driving) :D So far V6...

I'd seriously consider a V8. The fuel economy is very similar, and the drivetrain is at least 3 times as durable.

3X stronger?? humm... Im going this weekend to look for a truck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search here for transmission problems. The v6 auto's aren't known for being durable. I have had bad luck with them as have many others.

Back