Differential oil question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential oil question

Reaction score
City, State
wpb florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt
O.k..so I'm getting ready to change my front and rear diff. oil in my 04 with the NON limited slip option..and I'm running into so many different possibilities. I would like to use original ford oil, but I know I'm going to get hit over the head with their prices. Can someone post the best route to go?...(oil brand..weight...and # of quarts for front and rear)..thanks in advance !!..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did both of these the other day....
Why do you want to use Ford lubes? Go synthetic.
I used Royal Purple in the rear and Amsoil in the front. Best prices on RP were on Amazon.com. You'll need 2 quarts for each axle. You won't use all of it but each axle is over 1 quart

O.k..so I'm getting ready to change my front and rear diff. oil in my 04 with the NON limited slip option..and I'm running into so many different possibilities. I would like to use original ford oil, but I know I'm going to get hit over the head with their prices. Can someone post the best route to go?...(oil brand..weight...and # of quarts for front and rear)..thanks in advance !!..

Good 'ol 80-90 in any brand. It's gear oil.

Good 'ol 80-90 in any brand. It's gear oil.

WRONG!
Use ONLY 75/140 full synthetic.
Add friction modifier if you have the limited slip

By The Way: theres a tag on your diff that will tell you what weight/type of oil to use

Thanks for the responses ..the reason I would of like to go Ford is because I try to use original parts whenever possible..but it most certainly looks like I will be using the synthetic this time..my pos,..thats the first time I read to use that weight in the front and back...yeah im aware of the tag..but pure lazy-ness pushed me to ask rather then crawl my fat ass under the car..:/

Use 75/140 ford superseded the old 80-90

75/140 it is ..front and rear ..full synthetic ..thanks again everyone !

Spec is 80W-90 for the front and synthetic 75W-140 for the rear for the 2002-2005 model year. Somewhere in the model year run Ford started putting in a lighter 75W-90 oil in the rear for gas milage reasons, but backed off again to 75W-140 (and a TSB to do so) when issues arose (gear whine/hum).

A good upgrade for the front is to go with a good synthetic 75W-90 rather than the typically dino based oil 80W-90. This will give better properties in low temperature winter driving and the synthetic oil will resist high temperature breakdown better as well.

I ended up putting in Amsoil 75W-140 synthetic gear oil in my rear, and Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 in the front.

Rumple

75/140 it is ..front and rear ..full synthetic ..thanks again everyone !

the front takes about 2+ quarts but the rear is closer to 3 if you dont fill it to the full level you could damage rears

Thanks rumple...I'm in Florida ...does that change anything? ..the amount each gear gets is still confusing ..2 front and 2 rear enough?

Rear differential will take close to three quarts (just a tad under)
The front will take two quarts or just a tad more than that

Since your rear needs the 75/140 full synthetic, why not just buy 5 quarts of the same stuff if your going to do both at the same time?
And being in Florida changes nothing as far as diff oil is concerned

the truck is filled with 75-140 full synthetic from the factory and I told you the amount the rears take A little more then 2 quarts in the front and almost 3 quarts in the rear

Not sure where you all are getting your fluid qtys from.....

untitled.jpg

3.5pts = 1.75qts

Park on level surface and add fluid until it is just below the fill hole. How are you stuffing so much fluid in???

The 3qts for the rear has been going around this forum forever. Even my ALLData repair program says the rear needs 2.6qts.

I remember when I changed mine, I bought 3 1qt bottles and only about 1.5qts went in. I was confused until I looked at the official manual.

How did you manage to get the extra quart in? Did the official manual have a special funnel?

I think this is where the importance of having the car level comes in..the more the truck is jacked up tilting forward..the more oil you will be able to stuff in there..the only way to know for sure is to measure the amount coming out..

How did you manage to get the extra quart in? Did the official manual have a special funnel?

That's what I'm saying...I didn't get the extra quart in. I returned the extra bottle for a refund.

I also didn't jack up my truck during the oil change.

I changed Diff oil one week ago. My X´s is a 4x2, It took near of 1.8 qts. for rear Diff. Truck MUST BE leveled. I could not find 75w140 oil here (Venezuela), so I used 85w140....

BTW, Rear humming did not disappeared :(

the front takes about 2+ quarts but the rear is closer to 3 if you dont fill it to the full level you could damage rears

Rear differential will take close to three quarts (just a tad under)
The front will take two quarts or just a tad more than that

Since your rear needs the 75/140 full synthetic, why not just buy 5 quarts of the same stuff if your going to do both at the same time?
And being in Florida changes nothing as far as diff oil is concerned

Where'd you guys go? I've been waiting to hear how you got that much lube in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where'd you guys go? I've been waiting to hear how you got that much lube in there.

Well, you see, its like this.... Ever click on a thread while just reading the heading and not where it is?
Thats what happened to me, the second generation rear axle assembly does indeed take close to three quarts, and the front diff takes close to two.

I'm not afraid to admit when I made a mistake. It isn't like it would cause damage in some way, you just would not be able to pour it all in. Might cause to to have to return a quart, thats the extent of it.

Back