DIY Procedure to Break Loose A Tire Bead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY Procedure to Break Loose A Tire Bead

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Is there a DIY procedure to break loose a tire bead using common garage tools? I need to replace the TPMS sensors and I need to break loose one of the tire beads so that I can gain access to the TPMS to replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A jack and a car lol or a press if you have one.

I agree with above, put the base of the jack right at the bead of the tire and jack up a heavy car or truck.
Might only get a little movement of the bead, then let the weight off and rotate 6" to a new spot and jack it up and repeat.
A little soap and water may help it slide and break loose easier .... I would defiantly use soap and water when airing it back up.

keep a spare rim on hand with out a tire... jack it up and place this empty rim on your truck then lower the rim edge on to the bead of the tire... keep working it around till the bead is unseated from the rim..... I use this method when ever I replace valve stems.... only down side is you need a car/truck and a empty rim that fits said car/truck

Go to youtube and type in "break tire bead". There are tons of techniques on there to choose from.

Back