DIY: Replace Oil Pressure Sensor | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY: Replace Oil Pressure Sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Chaz.

I have an 01 sport trac that is doing the same thing when cold. I have located the sensor thanks to your nice picture. I can see how I can get a socket on it from the fender well, but I am not sure how to get to the connector to unplug the sensor. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to unplug the wire going to the sensor??

Mine is normal when the engine starts, but when I hit the Gas the pressure drops to 0 pressure. Does anyone think simply changing the sensor would fix this?

Mine reads 0 at start up and after warm up it will register but after a short time it falls back too zero. Is this the sensor or the sending unit ?

Off topic but I had to ask.

Turdle,
Where did you get the Helen Kellar quote...that is precious...especially coming from someone with her disabilities?

Jim

I know this is an old thread but I needed to find the location of the sensor. Great pics. Thank you.

Yeah. I used it to replace mine too.

Great post!!!!! Thanks

If I may ask what size socket do you need to remove the oil pressure switch.

Just replaced mine

I just replaced the oil pressure switch on my 1993. I had developed a leak out of my old one while driving. Oil was pouring out of it. Until I crawled under to look I first thought it was the crankshaft seal.

When the old switch was in my gauge would read about on the N on the gauge. Now that i replaced it it reads between the R and the M.

engine shut down and wont start acts like not in sync

my 02 mountaineer shut down the other day while turning a left in traffic, now it still wont start and I have replaced cam and crank sensers fuel filter, ignition switch. and im going to do the oil pressure senser and key cylinder, since it wont throw any codes I have been just picking at random what to fix. anyone have any suggestions??? it is a 4.6 v8 awd premieer ediion and I have only replaced the passenger side front wheel hub in 178000 miles oil changes every 3000 miles spark plugs every 50,000. at this point ive got too much time and money to stop now but I have never seen a car just shut down and not refire

Dude...quit throwing parts at it and think it through.

Every engine needs three things. Compression, fuel, and spark. Do you have these? Take a compression check. That will allow you to inspect the plugs for any obvious signs, plus it should tell you if you have any cam timing issues...as well as ring or valve issues. (doubtful in this case). Next, see if the fuel pump is running and delivering fuel and pressure. You can borrow a tool from Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc that will allow you to check fuel pressure. The pump should run for 2 or 3 seconds when the key is in the "on" position...then shut off. Cycle the key a few times...do you show pressure? Listen for the pump to run with your ear next to the fuel filler while someone cycles the key. Do you hear the pump? Crank the engine...do you have fuel pressure? If you have pressure, is it sufficient? Look up the spec and make sure you have enough pressure. (flow is another issue...but if you have pressure that doesn't fall way off when you crank it, you can ignore flow for now) Finally check for spark. You need to be extremely careful here as there is a ton of voltage being delivered. Probably the easiest and safest way is to purchase a plug simulator (very cheap) and attach it to ground and one of the coils. Do you have spark? Try this on a few of the coils. Once you find what you are missing, you can narrow your diagnostics to that system.

All the electronics in the world doesn't change the basics...so try and keep it simple.

hello new to the forums i did not want to start a new thread since i found this thread on how to change the oil pressure sensor i got the new sensor on my issue is i can get the connecter to slide on the new sensor i got the valucraft PS407VC i tried pushing really hard and it won't slide anymore and click in there then i had a really hard time getting it off but i did so my issue is is there a trick on getting the connector on the new sensor?

EDIT: Also my oil gauge reads 0 just bought the car and drove it home 30 miles ran fine just the oil pressure never moved i know its just a dummy light but want to fix it either way

EDIT: well i got a different brand it got it install the check gauge light is off but pressure gauge still at 0

Just had to pop in and thank the OP for this very helpful DIY. Just replaced my sender and aside from dropping the new part into the guts of the truck TWICE!!!! (D'oh!) I managed to complete the job in about an hour and my needle now stays rock steady at the halfway point on the gauge. Thank you for saving me a big bill!

If I may ask what size socket do you need to remove the oil pressure switch.

The one on my 1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer was 1 1/16 inch. Get a deep socket, you can find it at Autozone for about $8. You'll also want to get a 10" extender. If you're like me and only have 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket wrenches, you'll also have to either pick up a 1/2" socket wrench or an adapter. Autozone also sells a kit of three adapters that will help you get the job done with your 3/8 wrench.

Back