Dodge does it again!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dodge does it again!!

I guess like anything else it's a matter of opinion or differences between trucks of the same model. I test drove 2001 Ford Diesels and Dodge Diesels both autos and manuals (since I hadn't decided on tranny yet) and I felt the Dodge was the hands down winner. With 52K on the odometer we have had no problems with the Dodge and we're very happy with the choice.

The easy to work on layout of the straight 6 was just about enough to sell me. The Ford Powerstroke is a plumbers nightmare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats what dealers are for:D I was just so amazed at how the Excursion so effortlessly pulled the Cigarette. That boat is no light weight wither, 38ft with twin 502's that are supercharged, I think it uses marine versions of the Pro Chargers. Between the heavy ass weight of the Excursion and a heavy ass boat in tow, you didn't even feel like you were towing anything. And it had no problem passing people quickly with that boat in tow, probably scarred the crap outta a few people flying by them in a huge truck with a 38ft boat behind it:D The Dodge 3500 is nice though, maybe not as good as Ford, but it's a lot better than the previous versions and IMO better than the Chevy diesel.

Don't worry about my moms boyfriend, I've been ragging on him like crazy to get rid of the Avalanche. Not a bad truck, just to guady with that cladding and way to much hard/cheap plastic inside. He also just bought an 02' Acura TL TypeS which is awsome, easily the best car for the price, very comfortable and quality is incredible - so tight feeling. I like the 5.3 engine though, sounds like a Corvette. And my friends 5.3 Tahoe with mods will puT a C5 to shame in exhaust note and IMO compares to another one of our friends with a Z06.

EDIT- oh yea, the boat hauls. I now our Fountain is fast at about 80mph with twin 300's, but he will blow me out of the water. Gun the throttles and it slams you into the seat like a dragster and tops over 110mph in the ocean. Not that fast in car terms, but you have any idea on what it's like going that fast on water, feels like 200mph:eek: :eek:

Except it drinks gas like crazy, about a $500 fill up every time he runs it.

When you put on that full Banks kit, you're adding 256 lb/ft of torque. Throw in the propane injection (up to another 250 lb/ft) and you're talking serious power. I don't care what it is, but when you have over 1000 lb/ft of torque and upwards of 470 hp, it's going to fly. I too have ridden in a souped up diesel and that mother could move. I'm waiting to see what the new Ford super SUV will be. I've heard it'll be based on the Expy, but if I get one, it'll be diesel for sure. Yes, Dodge diesels can be souped up too, but I saw a drag race between a souped up Ford F-350 dually and an equally souped up Dodge. The Ford won hands down.

Diesels are seriously underestimated. They rock.

Oh, and with both of those mods (Banks, propane) the gas milage goes up too! What a deal!

Docvijay - I fully agree, at the track when they have diesel nights, the Ford F-250'S and F-350'S completley burn the Chevy and Dodge diesels that have basically the same mods. Is it me, or has anybody else noticed that Ford's engines responds incredibly to mods:D . I've seen F-350''s run in the 11's, it's insane watching a truck that big smoke a modded Mustang or Viper.

My neighbor is awsome, not only does he have two Ferrari's and a soon to be Murcialago, he has a fully modded Excursion that hauls. And your definitley right about the gas mileage, with the banks kit and propane injection he gets somewhere around 21mpg in the city and 30mpg on the highway and thats flooring it a lot, that engine is so efficient.

Plus to top it off he has a 38ft Playboy edition Cigarette (basically a Top Gun) and he will smoke our Fountain :( , but hell, thats what happens when you have twin supercharged 502's against twin 300 outboards.:D

Originally posted by rydinhigh
truck looks bad ass...now if dodge could only build a tranny that lasts past 75k miles :rolleyes:

Sorta like our Explorer trannys?

Paul Bredehoft has had nothing but problems with his Ford auto behind his V-10. They all have there lemons.

I have the new issue of 4-wheeler, and it has the guide to '03 4X4's.

Ram 3500 5.9HO Diesel 305 HP, 555 Tq

F-350 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel 325 HP, 550 Tq

Chevy Sierra 3500 6.6 Diesel 300 HP, 520 Tq

Jus thought I'd throw that in. Any deisel can be heavily modded w/ just a chip from the way that they opporate. I've seen a few car show's on TNN where they put a programmer on a Powerstroke and gain over 200 ft*lb's Torque. My friends dad's friend souped up a powerstroke F-250 w/ a 6 sp, that thing haul's big time. I definatly wanna get one when I graduate college and start makin money.

Ya know what's down the street from us?? The Hooters off shore racing boat. DAMN those muthas are huge!!

The guy whose house is at has way too many toys. 2 of those off shore boats, a garage with 6 double doors, and a HUGE barn for his big stuff. From what I understand he owns a company that builds custom Harleys Borgette or something like that.

Originally posted by Rick
Ya know what's down the street from us?? The Hooters off shore racing boat. DAMN those muthas are huge!!

The guy whose house is at has way too many toys. 2 of those off shore boats, a garage with 6 double doors, and a HUGE barn for his big stuff. From what I understand he owns a company that builds custom Harleys Borgette or something like that.
I've seen one of those boats in races here, very nice. My grandfather used to a Formula Race boat with tripple 502's, that thing hauled so hard it was insane. He also used to have a 60ft Magnum with diesels that could go almost 80mph, and that was one big ass boat.

Theres actually a lot of Cigarettes where I live, but my neighbors playboy edition looks the best:D . Theres only one more person who has a Fountain and he has basically the same boat as us and lives across the Intracoastal from us. Theres another guy here who has a Poker Run edition Cigarette with Las Vegas on it, he races it out here. They have some sick boat races out here.

I'll never forget the time I took out one of our waverunners to see the race out here, and I ran right into the race by accident:eek: , so thats why there were no boats there...oops...

I love boats, I'm scince I was little we've lived on the water and always went boating, I love the water, nothing more relaxing than that. After my classes are over I take usually one of our waverunners out and go nutz to relieve stress. I'll even take the boat to a little private beach here and do my homework - much easier to do it out there being so peacful with the sound of the ocean.

Boats rule!!!

EDIT - we don't have a barn, but we have a 6 car air-conditioned garage that we hardly ever use, so if anybody wants to store anything...maybe their lifted Ex...;)
yeh I guess we have too many toys also:
27ft Fountain
20ft Yamaha LS2000 jetboat
2 Yamaha GP1200R waverunners (extremely fast)
2 Yamaha Waveraiders, both are getting engine rebuilds, I'm finishing it up with a friend of my moms who has a waverunner rental business and knows Yamaha Ski's.
One a friend of my moms beached it without stopping the engine, the other I blew a head gasket on right when I brought them to our lakehouse and got it in the water, damnit. Waverunners are so friggen finnicky.

Ok, when you start dialing up mega HP and torque which rod would you want in your engine :D

Dead Link Removed

Those are from a 6.2 Chevy, 7.3L Powerstroke and 5.9L Cummins.

Look at the size of the wrist pin bore on the Cummins rod:eek:

ok... SaleenEXP.. you have way to much $$$ wana send me some? cause my broke ass is working 3 jobs and im having a hard time paying for my truck... letalone 6 boats.. 8 cars and what ever else you have.. wana send me some $$ =)

Actually it looks like his neighbor is the one witht he $$$. Is he looking to adopt a broke 28 year old med student?

Originally posted by Mikke
ok... SaleenEXP.. you have way to much $$$ wana send me some? cause my broke ass is working 3 jobs and im having a hard time paying for my truck... letalone 6 boats.. 8 cars and what ever else you have.. wana send me some $$ =)
well, we only have two cars:D I haven't had a truck for about a year. My mom gave my sister the 94', I just drive hers or grandparents cars until my friggen delayed 02' Mounty is in:mad:

Honestly we do not show it off at all, I can't stand where I live b/c it's so stuck up. Look up where I live if it's on the internet "Royal Palm Yacht Club" and you'll probably see how sick it is here. My family is not like flashy or anything like that, even though we have one of the biggest houses in here (8000 sqft) we have actually gotten bad looks from people b/c we drive "Explorers" instead of like Rovers or Bentleys like it's disgraceful to drive them - I constantly flip people in here the middle finger cause of that.

The main reason we have 4 waverunners is b/c when we go to our lakehouse I bring the waveraiders for my whole family to use when they come in, the GP's are way too fast for them to use. The GP's I really use b/c of the power for jumping waves when we have bad storms and hurricanes and I've raced them before. The jet boat we have b/c we had an Air Nautique for wakeboarding and everything but it was a pain in the ass and guzzled gas like crazy, the jet boat is better on gas, faster, and just as good for wakeboarding and is easy to work on cause it's basically the same engines in the GP1200's. Our Fountain we use for fishing, cruising, or hauling ass and it's extremely reliable, not one problem in 2yrs.

I wish we had 8 cars:) , we never use our garage, but I guess the people who owned the house collected cars or something.

And I'm also broke as hell right now, the only reason I don't have a job is my grandparents want me to do well in college, but I worked from 9th grade to about 12th.

Our house isn't fancy at all, it's basically surferish if that describes it- very laid back. No chandeliers or any of that crap, no expensive furniture or 15th century rugs like people in here:rolleyes: , the minute somebody ask me where I live or see our house they automatically think I'm some rich snob - my sister and I we're the only ones in here that went to a public school while other snobby kids in here drive aston martins and ferraris and went to private schools that were like 30,000 a year, it's pathetic. Thats a little more than my college.

heh, sorry so long, just didn't want you to think I was some rich snob - I hate people like that and think their the **** or something.

Originally posted by DocVijay
Actually it looks like his neighbor is the one witht he $$$. Is he looking to adopt a broke 28 year old med student?
yeh, he's definitley well of, sold some patent to Nokia or something like that, but he's really cool, he knows how to work on his Ferrari's and does all the maintenance except for serious dealer stuff. I helped him a few times, and I have no idea how to work around that engine it's so friggen complicated and parts are hard as hell to reach, thats why usually when you bring it in for service they take they lift the engine out.

My other neighbor has a modded S4 and a nice 02' Explorer. He, and the guy with the Ferrari's and us are like the only cool/nice people in here. Everyone else in this stuck up community can go suck a nut:D They piss me off, we don't talk to anybody else.

Wow, I want to see that Ram race my friends Dakota R/T. Has over 500 HP now and is putting twin turbos on over the winter.

Originally posted by Rick
Ok, when you start dialing up mega HP and torque which rod would you want in your engine :D

Dead Link Removed

Those are from a 6.2 Chevy, 7.3L Powerstroke and 5.9L Cummins.

Look at the size of the wrist pin bore on the Cummins rod:eek:
damn, I didn't know the Cummins rods we're that big:eek: Thats huge, like 3x the size of the Chevy rod.

damn Rick:eek: I've seen old plane engines with connecting rods smaller than that. Talk about being about to boost up the turbo. Don't know much about diesel, but I do know cummins was who started it all. Navistar builds a hell of a diesel, but they're laying people off left and right up here. Just glad the army isn't laying off yet.
:confused:

:chug: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JGAMBLE
damn Rick:eek: I've seen old plane engines with connecting rods smaller than that. Talk about being about to boost up the turbo. Don't know much about diesel, but I do know cummins was who started it all. Navistar builds a hell of a diesel, but they're laying people off left and right up here. Just glad the army isn't laying off yet.
:confused:

:chug: :chug:
Navistar is the one building the new Ford diesel right? Thats one freaken powerful engine, and it's going to have like variable valve timing and other gizmos - sweet:cool:

Back