Donate to Save Dannyboy's life...cage time | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Donate to Save Dannyboy's life...cage time

the two link/trac-bars are for axle wrap. this is the only explorer i've seen with them. i know autofab offers them for broncos.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the two link/trac-bars are for axle wrap. this is the only explorer i've seen with them. i know autofab offers them for broncos.

http://www.autofab.com/16rear1.htm

RJ you the man. This is a good article to read. I never would have thought about the axle wrap from braking as well. On the sand, washes we lock up our brakes all the time.

Chalk up another "cool" thing I my truck that I totally didn't appreciate until about 3 minutes ago.

yeah i noticed those in your "refreshing the rear suspension" thread and thought they were pretty cool. i wish i had them so my springs wouldn't make an "s" shape when i hit the gas :confused: im thinking about doing something like this http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Anti_wrap_bar/antiwrapbar.htm

but does your trac bars limit your flex? seems like they stuff ok, but not great. or do you have stiff, progressive rate springs?

DSC_0425_resize.jpg

No, the reason my front tire lifted up and my travel was limited was because my rear shocks were bent when I went up the ramp. That was right when they were kinked at a 90 degree angle.

I had a blonde moment, tried to push my new springs with too wide of bushings into my shackle with a floor jack and dumped my whole truck on those 4 Rancho 9000s. ALL 4 of those shocks totally leakd oil and got bent :mad:

If you look at that pic on the ramp you can see a puddle of shock oil cause that was pushing those shocks to the limit.

I had to grind down the bushings and they slid right in. It was an expensive mistake to toss 4 remote res shocks in the garbage.

Attachments

• 1springs 008.jpg
    1springs 008.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 446

aww ok.i saw the puddle in the picture, and i was driving behind you on that trip and saw the oil pouring out of those shocks. they were bent pretty good i must say. i didn't think they got in the way of your flex though.

hahaha that picture is great!! sucks cause you lost your shocks though :(

I would have just pushed that thing into the pool and walked away, and live the rest of life oblivious as to how that Explorer made it in there. You know, have 2.5 kids, a "cute" house with a white picket fence, a dog... and an Explorer in the pool.

I would have just pushed that thing into the pool and walked away, and live the rest of life oblivious as to how that Explorer made it in there.
You know, have 2.5 kids, a "cute" house with a white picket fence, a dog... and an Explorer in the pool.

Look like he was close to it tho since the impact gun almost made it in there:p:

And is that the ever popular blue Michelin jack from Costco ? :D

look at the arch in those springs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the one laying on the ground)

built by Valley Spring, valleyspringservice.com

They are about 15 minutes from my house. They build leaf packs for any application. When I showed him my stack he said that they looked similar to a set for a tubed out F150 that they built.

I paid $500 plus tax. U-bolts were an additional $12.50, so I was Out the Door for $606 ready to bolt up.

I can't say how they compare to deavers or nationals. My old ones were 11 leafs as well, but they were much softer, probably due to all the miles and the rust.

I really like how the truck handles with this setup. I haven't jumped it too much or ran it down any whoops sections like I have before due to the rear shock situation.

Biggest complaint both Joe and I have had about the truck is that the rear end bucks around (hence his name is lil mule) and I think I almost stuck the front end in glamis while getting out of control. I'm sure the 3.0s will settle everything down versus old ranchos llaid back at a 45 degree angle.

Here's a couple cool vids for your enjoyment. This is on the old springs.

I was passing quads on the wash, 60 mph was about all I did on this day but it does have some whoops through the whole thing. My old truck would get airborne at about 20 mph on this same stretch.

th_jump.jpg

th_DaninWash.jpg

love those videos! you have no idea how jealous i am that you can jump the truck that high and it barely bounces

Haha, so THAT'S where the avatar came from.

yeah, I probably jumped the truck 8-10 times in that same spot getting pics. I was in second gear going nearly 30 when I launched it for the avatar pic.

Each time i got going a litte faster and was like "What the hell am I doing" and then the landing was no thang.

once again, I was amped when I saw the shock hoops coming together today

More sexy curves, perfect alignment for my trail boxes and cargo. Back seats are in, no room for a center console like I was thinking.

Attachments

• Picture 014 medium.jpg
    Picture 014 medium.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 016medium.jpg
    Picture 016medium.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Picture 019 medium.jpg
    Picture 019 medium.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 355
  • Picture 015 medium.jpg
    Picture 015 medium.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 360

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and if you were wondering why the big curve on the shock hoop, it's so you can reach into the cooler for a cold one.

And this is the attention to detail I like to see, look at John's shopping cart, and even the spot where my floor vent used to be, it's a matching break.

Attachments

• Picture 030 medium.jpg
    Picture 030 medium.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 037 medium.jpg
    Picture 037 medium.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 353
  • Picture 025 medium2.JPG
    Picture 025 medium2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg