Don't drive during a tornado | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't drive during a tornado

So one day, i was driving my 94 explorer home from a doctor's appointment and there just so happened to be a tornado warning. It had not so much as started raining where i was so i figured whatever, i'll just take my time getting home and it won't be a problem. 2 minutes from my house, the rain came down so hard i could barely see past my hood. so i'm driving at like 20mph in this wind and rain, no big deal right? wrong.
i saw some powerlines explode and before i knew it the loudest bang i have ever heard, and for some reason my car was moving very slowly...i kept the pedal to the floor and got moving again but all of a sudden i was wet, cold, and i had to fight to keep the car on the road. i looked back and noticed i had no back windows, and the roof was actually collapsed. i got home and checked it out, and saw that i was hit by a full size pine tree, it had smashed my ex starting from the back seat. i drug some branches with me but i later found out that the rest of the tree that i narrowly escaped remained blocking a 3 lane road and smashed 2 fences, as well as knocking out the power for a bunch of neighborhoods.
this is a terrible picture, if you saw it in person it looked like i rolled it. if i find more i'll post but this is all i know of.
09-29-06_0732-1.jpg

the next day when inspecting my car, i also noticed my front wheels were pointed out / \ like that, and that's why i couldnt steer. insurance came out and said it was totaled. i payed 1800 for it, and they gave my 3600...and that's how i bought my 99 xlt i have now.

so don't drive during tornadoes.

update: found another picture
0254.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ouch...that looks like it could have hurt plenty... I guess you're lucky in that if you were a 10th of a sec slower it would have whacked your hood and come into the cabin..

ouch...that looks like it could have hurt plenty... I guess you're lucky in that if you were a 10th of a sec slower it would have whacked your hood and come into the cabin..

exactly. my mom was freaking out because i could have died, i was freaking out because i just lost my explorer.

Is the sub alright?

yeah, it's in my dad's corvette now, i have 2x12" in my new(er) ex now
that bungee cord held it in place though! didn't move after that or driving around green ridge state park mountains.

Wow, you got mowed. Glad you're OK, trucks are replaceable.

god damn your lucky glad that tree didn't hit the front of the truck

my window still on the road the next morning
0221.jpg

top of the tree all cut up. that was the skinniest part, check the car for size comparison.
0226.jpg

what was left of the tree after the neighbors cut it up and hauled what they could
0219.jpg

it had traffic backed up for miles that night, happened during rush hour, the tornado didnt help any

explorers are very tough, i couldn't believe it was running after getting hit that hard

Back