Door chime going off no matter what | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door chime going off no matter what

Elhombre1973

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
My door ajar light stays on no matter how much or hard i shut all of my doors. So when the truck is turned off the chime goes for awhile. I havent had any problem with the chime depleting the battery, but it is hella annoying. Anything???? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is htere a possibility your ign switch is messed up?

As someone on another thread just below this one pointed out, try a little lubrication on the door switch (in the latching area) on the doors.... one of the switches is not working properly. The reason that it doesn't kill things is that a battery saver function eventually kicks in and stops things (I think).

I'm having the same problem with my X being fixed by the dealer. I'll let you know what they diagnosed the problem to be once I get it back (early next week).

This is a common problem with Frods. The switches get gummed up that are on the bottom of the door latch assembly. Spray a penetrating oil/lubricant into the latch area itself, and close and open the door numerous times and you might get it unstuck. Be liberal with the lubricant! The switches really do not go bad.

If the above don't work, you'll have to pull the door panel, and chase down the switch, it's on the top of the latch, and remove it...clean it with WD-40, or somthing safe for plastics and electronics, then lube with a dry lube, like graphite.....

I tried lubing my passenger door switch and drowning it in electronic cleaners but it never fixed it. I went to ford and got a new switch, once you see it you will see how to change it. Take the door panel off, a good telescopic mirror and light and you can replace it without taking the whole latch out, I did. I think the price was under $20 good luck

Back