• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Leverage

TsherryUSA

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
So this week both the Driver and Passenger Front exterior door handles are starting to go. I have to pull pretty hard to get them to open the doors. Drivers side is worse than the passenger, I can sorta grab the top of the door and get some leverage to open. Drivers feels a little loose, Passenger feels normal other than really having to pull up to get the door to open.

Before I go about replacing the handles, is there anything else y'all recommend I take a look at that could be the issue?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest to open the door and lift up on it while looking at the hinges
your hinge pins maybe worn out which is why you would have to lift up the door
if you do replace the door handle I suggest us using a metal 1
I did all 4 of mine with metal units and they are great
I did also have to replace the hinge pins

Both jobs are easy so that's nice

I just replaced three exterior door handles and the lock and the locking / latch mechanisms (part that latches door closed) Two of the three latch mechanisms failed with the door closed and it is much easier while you have the door panel off to go ahead and replace these while you are replacing the outer door handle. You may want to hold off if you feel okay about those pieces but it is not a lot of fun when the door is stuck closed and you have to pull the interior panel off and work to get it open.

I think they turned plastic after 1997

Next up is the door hinge bushings.

Back