• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Removal Question

farmtruckman

Reaction score
City, State
ellensburg, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
What is the trick for removing the door handles on my 95? Those are some hefty rivets holding them things in. I was just thinking of taking a pair of dykes to cut away at them piece by piece until I can punch through the center of the rivet. Looks too stout to drill through the center. I was just going to use nut/bolt combination to replace the handle once removed. I have never seen rivets in that size before.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, they are 1/4" rivets. It takes a special 1/4" rivet gun, which most dirt track stock car racers have, if you know any.
I used a nut and bolt myself. Seems to work fine.

just drill it out. it works pretty well.

Drill the head off. Just be careful with the drill... Mine slipped and gouged the door. I was not a happy camper LOL!!

And yes, it'll take a large, heavy-duty rivet gun to reinstall them. I borrowed one from work, but there are plenty of people that have used nuts and bolts. Personally, if I had to go that route, I'd use a stainless steel carriage bolt to save my knuckles.

-Joe

i work at a body shop... stupid design but you drill them out and replace with new rivets

drive out the center of the rivit first

makes the job MUCH easier.

Thanks for the quick response. Do I drive it out from the inside out or from the outside in. Would be a b****h from the inside, I imagine. :usa:

out side
hammer and punch
then as mentioned 1/4 inch drill bit

Monmix helped me before I went to the junkyard (whether he knows it or not- LOL!)

I punched out the center of the rivet, drilled out the rest of it with a cordless drill and unhooked the latch extender from the inside of the door to releast the handle.

Just a tip- don't close your door, I couldn't get the door open again at the boneyard once I unhooked the handle and took the handle out! (Unless I'm missing something)

if you do rivet it back in, put a chunk of car board just below the handle. that way when the rivet breaks off, the rivet gun will bounce off the card board, and not a nice shinny paint job. i learned that the hard way once

if you do rivet it back in, put a chunk of car board just below the handle. that way when the rivet breaks off, the rivet gun will bounce off the card board, and not a nice shinny paint job. i learned that the hard way once

sound advice
been there done that :(

Back