Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Hi all,
Quick question,
Do you need an adapter other then the wiring harness adapter in order to install a JVC double din connector in a 07 Sport trac? or is it as easy as putting the sleve in, bending the tabs, pluging in the dec, sliding it in and pressing on the bezel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what you have and what you want to keep. Make sure you get the right adapter for the features you need to pass to the new HU. You've got the RAP (reserve accessory power) and the like to think about. Do you have a factory sub? Do you have steering wheel controls (and does the HU support remote control)?

I've heard good results with the PAC C2R-FRD1 adapter and the PAC SWI-PS (for steering wheel controls). PAC makes the RP4-FD11 now, which combines the function of the two, but I have not heard anything about that one.

Thanks, I do have a factory sub, but no steering wheel control. I do belive the cable adapter will still connect the sub. My main question was about mounting the actual head unit. does it require an install kit, or does the sleeve that comes with it take care of that?

I was planing on going with the JVC 800BT, for iphone bluetooth and sirius compatibility.

I put a Pioneer in my '06 and I needed a aftermarket sleeve, and the wiring harness. The big issue here is the factory sub. The aftermarket stereo turns the amp on by 12v but the factory uses a 3v if think. this means every time you turn the car or radio, you get a speaker bump. It gets really annoying. I tied different thing and never could solve it so I ended up just wiring it to one of the front speakers, and that works as long as you don't crank it.:( It a easy solution for my truck because my wife doesn't listen to it loud and it's her truck, but not the correct solution:(

Cool, 3 v you say. I'm sure I can borrow a 3v Zener a couple resistors and breadboard at work and rig up a regulator for the switch to the amp. It should be a switching voltage, so not much draw. Good to know. Looks like the jvc comes with a sleeve so all I need is the wiring harness. Thanks for the help.

you will need an install bracket like this

Yes you do need a kit. Well it is not really a kit, but it is a beauty ring. The new head unit fills the space, but the outer ring finishes it off. Generally if you buy the head unit on line (sonic electronix/crutchfield) the kit comes with the purchase. As for voltage dropping.....if you use resistors remember to run them in series.....ohms law Voltage= current x resistance.

The factory sub uses 5 volts. A wire harness adapter, like the one previously mentioned (PAC C2R-FRD1), comes with the amp turn on wires voltage already regulated to 5 volts....so if you go that route, don't wire in a voltage regulator. If you don't use a harness that drops the voltage, you can get a 12 volt to 5 volt regulator at radio shack like this ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599 ).

This regulator has three terminals: the first is the input, the second is the ground and the third is the output. I've read somewhere that the regulator produces a lot of heat for its size. The info I read suggests it be bolted or screwed to a clean metal surface which will act as a heat sink.

Yes you do need a kit. Well it is not really a kit, but it is a beauty ring. The new head unit fills the space, but the outer ring finishes it off. Generally if you buy the head unit on line (sonic electronix/crutchfield) the kit comes with the purchase. As for voltage dropping.....if you use resistors remember to run them in series.....ohms law Voltage= current x resistance.

Zeiner would be a little more solid then a voltage divider, and we got oodles of them around here. V=IR, it actualy pays the bills at my house.

Zeiner would be a little more solid then a voltage divider, and we got oodles of them around here. V=IR, it actualy pays the bills at my house.

Same means of bill paying here.....good luck with your project.

It depends on what you have and what you want to keep. Make sure you get the right adapter for the features you need to pass to the new HU. You've got the RAP (reserve accessory power) and the like to think about. Do you have a factory sub? Do you have steering wheel controls (and does the HU support remote control)?

I've heard good results with the PAC C2R-FRD1 adapter and the PAC SWI-PS (for steering wheel controls). PAC makes the RP4-FD11 now, which combines the function of the two, but I have not heard anything about that one.

Hi, Which one do I need to install to keep Reserve accessory power, and dim feature for an AVH-p3400bh, i already installed it with a backup camera, but miss turning off the ignition and still listening to the stereo, also, at night the new HU is quite bright and kind of distracting so I would also like the dim feature when turning on the head lights

PAC C2R-FRD1 should allow you to keep RAP.

Back