• Register Today It's free!

Downpipes finally being done!

EcoPowerParts

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Flex Ecoboost
Finally got an explorer sport down to PPE (I found one and Paul is getting it done!) They should prototypes done today and a jig done almost immediately.
Some pics from the visit.
BTW, what's so great about these pipes? You'll pass emissions!!! :) These cats do not throw codes, my personal vehicle as well as many other SHO/Flex owners have been using them for months with no issues!!! No reason to buy catted downpipes only to have to tune the rear O2 out which means in most states you won't pass readiness checks and you'll fail ANYHOW!!!

Also we're working with SCT to be able to have a canned tune ready to work with these pipes for additional POWER!

Stock SHO (top) vs Explorer front pipe
2014-02-17+11.42.01.jpg

Stock front SHO vs Explorer (SHO top)
2014-02-17+11.42.47.jpg

The donor vehicle being worked on (guy had it on craiglist, I contact him and he allowed us to borrow it before he handed it over to new owner)
2014-02-17+11.43.22.jpg

Pricing and availability will come out ASAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sub'd. WANT

nice!!! finally a set that wont throw a code. looking forward to your progress

I should have pricing and group buy info within a week!
:)

Great!!!

Would be cool if you could get some feedback on removal and install, hopefully it will be pretty simple install.

Install/removal is the same as SHO/Flex.
Front is piece of cake, rear is a pain in the but to get the bolts off the turbo but not terrible. :)
More room in the explorer to get things done though.
On a lift with experience in/out is about 20 minutes.
First timer on your back in your garage? At least 4-5 hours and bloody knuckles :)

Those stock pipes sure are ugly!

First timer on your back in your garage? At least 4-5 hours and bloody knuckles :)

LOL! I sure remember those days switching out my Fox Mustangs H pipe each year for emissions.

In the Explorer, are these a modular setup? Can I unbolt the stock down pipes from the catback, install these and leave the stock catback? I read someone installing one of the catback systems complaining they had to cut into the down pipes... That seemed odd to me....

Thanks for getting that Explorer in to PPE! :)

Ajar

Those stock pipes sure are ugly!

LOL! I sure remember those days switching out my Fox Mustangs H pipe each year for emissions.

In the Explorer, are these a modular setup? Can I unbolt the stock down pipes from the catback, install these and leave the stock catback? I read someone installing one of the catback systems complaining they had to cut into the down pipes... That seemed odd to me....

Thanks for getting that Explorer in to PPE! :)

Ajar

Yes, these bolt on. The catback that required cutting is the Magnaflow, and it is cut because the stock pipes are 2.25" and they did not want to make a full 2.5" bolt on system because the flange would be mismatched to the stock downpipes and leak.

Man i can't wait for these!!! Plus new tune options, finally gonna get to play!

I'll be announcing pricing and group buy on Monday!

T304 with the same Magnaflow cats we use on the Flex/SHO downpipes that pass emissions. I'll give full details on Monday.
Basically these are the Flex/SHO pipes with a modified center section to clear the "hump" of the subframe.

In the Flex/SHO are the non catted versions throwing codes? Will there be a no cat version for the Sport?

so these would work with a corsa catback?

In the Flex/SHO are the non catted versions throwing codes? Will there be a no cat version for the Sport?
Non-catted will be available, yes they will throw a code unless you tune out the rear O2 which both current and future SCT tuners can do.
so these would work with a corsa catback?
If the corsa catback bolts to the factory downpipes it will definitely work. These pipes will bolt in directly in place of your stock or stock replacement catback system.

How much power does the SHO see from this upgrade and is that what will be expected with the Sport?

We did a comparison on a STOCK SHO recently and found 14HP on catless and just a tiny bit of HP on the catted but the power came up well before stock pipes. What we also found is after 2 or 3 pulls the power came back down to stock levels meaning the ECU is doing it's thing and torque limiting the output.
We're heading back to the dyno soon to test on a tuned vehicle and will reinstall stock vs catted downpipes to see the differences.
Topic discussing the dynos:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2054.msg28647#msg28647

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install

Any tips on getting the upper bolt removed on the rear downpipe? Only thing holding me up

Back