Driver door does not activate interior lights. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver door does not activate interior lights.

Christifor

Reaction score
City, State
Pac NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT
Hey all,

Messed around with my brother's 97 XLT, & noticed that when I opened the driver's door, the interior lights weren't coming on. The other doors activate them. & the dimmer switch also activates them. The door switches work. I checked the handle as well when the door is closed to see if that activates them, it did not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull out the door ajar switch and test it with a meter.

Remove the interior door panel with a panel tool, there are also a couple of small hex head screws, and a small trim piece around the interior handle you pry out with a small flat screwdriver, and you will need to disconnect the switch array and power mirror control. Peel back the plastic film, and look inside the door. The switch is attached to the door latch (not the handle) with a Phillips head screw.

If the switch tests OK, you may have a broken wire in the rubber accordion causeway between the hinges.

You might want to try soaking the door catch in the door with wd40. Sometimes that switch gets dirty and if you soak it and slam the door a few times it might start working again. That happened in my daughters sable. We kept a small can of wd40 in the glove box in case it acted up.

Awesome! Thanks for that. I will get to it over the weekend & see what I can find.
I originally looked for a little switch & couldn't find any. Guess I'll have to dig in & look harder. What should my meter read when I test it? Around 12 volts?

True carbuff, I have "fixed" a couple of Ford Taurus using WD. Definitely worth a shot!

Just check for continuity with the switch unplugged.

Sprayed WD inside the door latch. Slammed quite a few times. No go! Was worth a shot for sure. All other doors work fine. Door ajar lights up with other doors when key in ignition. No light from driver. Very odd.

Check to see if the wire and/or the connection is still on the door latch.

You will have to pull the door panel to see this.

I had the drivers side work loose, and now the passenger side has broken off.

OK, maybe I broke it changing the door handle, but still, check it.

MT

I had the same issue with our first Gen II Explorer. I found the door latch switch in the driver's door was broken in two. I was able to fix it with JB Weld, but I probably should have just installed a new switch. Still, the switch continued to work for about 2 years, then the engine blew up, so I'm glad I didn't spend the money on a new switch.

The second picture in that link shows our door latch assembly. The door ajar switch is the black object with a single wire connector going to it.

The door ajar switch can be bought separately, for about $15 from what I saw recently.

Keep the door latches lubricated, at this age they all need some WD40 and PB Blaster, white lithium grease etc. It'd be wise to also inspect the door striker bushings, all six, and replace as needed. I adjusted two of my four doors to get them to fit the body better, which helped to have them close easier.

I just bought four new door latches from eBay, NOS for about $50-60 each. I have one right latch that has one jaw which is not working, making opening the door from inside slightly harder. Keep working on them, they need TLC every so often. Regards,

Back