• Register Today It's free!

Drivers Side door unlock problem

eektech909

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97
I'm trying to fix a co-workers door lock problem.

It's a '97 explorer with automatic door locks. The drivers door unlock button doesn't unlock the doors. It will lock them, but not unlock them. The passenger door and key controller will unlock them. We tested and replaced the actual button itself and thats not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you said you "tested them".... what did you test? did you test to see that grd is sent to the "door lock" relay in the back panel? Your problem is probably a broken wire in the door column where the wires travel from the door to the body.

There is a rod that can come off its location inside the door. I've had this problem on my '97 twice now. It will pop off when I try to unlock it with the key (after the stupid thing locked me out while it was running - AGAIN). When that happens I have the opposite problem but it matters where the rod gets stuck when it pops off. Take the door panel off and get a flashlight to look at the lock mechanism to make sure all the rods are in place where they should be. I think you'll find the problem there.

budwich said:
when you said you "tested them".... what did you test? did you test to see that grd is sent to the "door lock" relay in the back panel? Your problem is probably a broken wire in the door column where the wires travel from the door to the body.

I have the same problem on a 4 door.
A-DTA shows an unlock module in the cargo
ATN showed no fixes.
Does the loom unbolt at the hinge?
Thanks...TCM

It is most likely a problem with the actuator. I got a quote from Ford 2 days ago on how much it would cost to replace mine. You (and I) are looking at about $245 for parts and labor.

Just a heads up! :thumbsup:

Its not a single actuator that the original poster is complaining about... he says none of his door unlock. as for TCM's comment.... I don't know what you mean by "loom". There are two relays in the back panel area , one for lock and one for unlock (actually there is a third for driver's door unlock on electronic option vechicles). Grd is feed to either the unlock or lock depending on what you press and then the "result" from the relays is feed to "ALL" actuators.

I' having the same problem with my 98" Explorer. After hours of fooling around with it, I think i found a post that has the solution:

:Your problem is a broken wire. Open the door all the way. There is a black plastic 'barrel' with a bolt on top and a rubber boot. Loosen the bolt all the way. It will drop the barrel down. I had to cut the rubber boot with scissors. You will now find the broken wire. After you fix it put some shrink tube on it to protect it and make sure you have plenty of slack. I used black tie wraps to put the rubber boot back together. You will be amazed how thin the wires are that Ford used. Oh Well.

the wire is the pnk green.......

did the search for this thread. have the same issue as the original poster. the drivers lock switch only locks. pass switch will unlock. so will the key fob. was attepting to replace the switch, thinking it was bad. this was not the issue. i speculate a broken wire and a likely spot would be the swivel between the door and the body, but was wondering if anyone knows where to get the schematics for the door locks? haynes manual is about as useful as a freezer on the north pole. seriously, what gives with that thing? its the same manual as the one i had when i had a 94 x except for some incredibly basic stuff on the 95+. is there a better manual out there? thanks.

update...45 minutes later. it was a broken wire at the joint. in fact a good amount looked in bad shape. i would still like to get a line on schematics and a good manual though.

I think there is a download site for the truck cd which has pretty good schematics or just buy a cheap cd of the same thing.

I think there is a download site for the truck cd which has pretty good schematics or just buy a cheap cd of the same thing.

Link?

-=bmacd=-

Its not a single actuator that the original poster is complaining about... he says none of his door unlock. as for TCM's comment.... I don't know what you mean by "loom". There are two relays in the back panel area , one for lock and one for unlock (actually there is a third for driver's door unlock on electronic option vechicles). Grd is feed to either the unlock or lock depending on what you press and then the "result" from the relays is feed to "ALL" actuators.
My problem is the same on my 99 but I can’t get the door open to take the panel off too fix it. Window won’t go down either.

^ Worst comes to worst, take the driver's seat out to get panel access.

Back