• Register Today It's free!

E-Bay Front End Parts

95beater

Reaction score
City, State
West Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump.. i'd like to know about this as well.

E-Bay Front End Parts..The journey begins...

Like a moth to a bug zapper I went ahead and got the complete rebuild kit from Arm-Can, for a total savings of about $170 when compared to Autozone. There is a link on the e-bay page stating that they re-box products for auto parts chains in Canada (as Chassis-1 Brand) and in the United States as many mid-range or economy brands.

See http://stores.ebay.com/Arm-Can-Auto-Parts/Chassis-Part-Qualities-and-Prices.html

I'll update this link from time to time to spread the word, good or bad. I'll either install them this coming weekend (Feb 25-26) or next (March 5-6).

become Elite and put your review in the Review section!

-Drew

I am curious as well. If you could document the installation that would be awesome :thumbsup:

Here's where we are at boys and girls....

The e-bay vendor was very responsive. He e-mailed me the next day to get the particulars (year, 4WD, engine) etc... But the e-mail went to my spam filter which delayed shipment for three days.

I received a UPS tracking number and it took 5 days to arrive. The ball joints were in boxes marked "Chassis-1" while the uppers ball joint/arms and tie-rod ends were in unmarked bags. All of the various clips, grease fittings, etc. were included. The parts seem good, with no obvious flaws. The only thing that looked different is the flange on the bottom of the new BJ was a lot smaller than OEM.

I removed the brakes, rotors, anti-sway bar links, shocks, tie rod ends, unloaded the torsion bars, removed the bolts for the lower ball joints. Upon a close inspection, it appears that everything is OEM circa 1995 with 156k. Everything was really loose, rusty, and sloppy.

Here's where things got ugly.

Problem #1
Once the knuckle is freed of the upper BJs, there is barely enough play to slide the knuckle off of the BJ stud. This is due to interference with the CV shaft (it hits the top of the lower control arm). Getting it back on....did not happen. Other posts on the site say to move the joint stud towards the rear of the vehicle and slide it on at an angle. I tried without success. I'm going to try to press the BJ to the maximum height (so that there is a gap between the c-clip and the top of the lower arm. This might give enough room. If not, its time to rip the CV shafts out.

Problem #2
The "pressing" in the right BJ in the LCA was a joke. It was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway (as opposed to a bun). Using a micrometer, it turns out Both BJs were the same size (actually, the new one was slightly larger, both about 1.75"). My RS LCA is shot. $50 at the local bone yard (Elgin Super Auto, A+). Will pick up tomorrow.

Problem #3
This falls under "operator error". I totally goobered up the threads on the left BJ. Duh. I also destroyed the boots over the tie rod ends to the rack and pinion and the inner boot on the RS CV shaft. The boots were crusty old OEM 1995. I'll give myself some slack on breaking those. Every parts store had the CV boot, no one had the tie rod/rack boot (called a bellows at some parts stores). Special order, will be in at Murray's Discount Auto tomorrow.

Since I tanked the threads on the LS BJ, the RS falls out with thumb pressure, and I have to replace the RS LCA...I’m going to treat this like an omen. I’m going to use the "Chassis-1" UBJ and tie rod ends but shell out $60 and get a set of Moogs.

Once I get all of the parts together and have some free time this week, I'll add more to this tread.

Update

It’s all together and at the alignment shop.

Lessons Learned:

1) Elgin Superauto was a total waste of time..they go from A to F. First, I had to wait 45 minutes for a salesman to pull the part. When I finally got it home and pressed out the LBJ, the new LBJ would fall right out; both the Chassis-1 and the high-end NAPA one (I could not find Moogs, reportedly a good, if not better, alternative). Upon closer inspection, the LCA was bent. Losers!

I ended up getting a new LCA from Ford (kudos to Elmhurst (IL) Lincoln-Mercury for having the part on the shelf and open to 5 on a Saturday). The whole thing was $108 and it came with a BJ already pressed in. That was about the same as a high end BJ and a used LCA. Getting a LCA from Ford is a very good option for those with the BJs that fall out.

2) I was impressed with the quality of the E-bay uppers BJs, the sway bar links, and the inner tie rods. The outer tie rods seemed to be of average quality. The NAPA units (about $44 each) were much stouter than the e-bay units. For those interested in ordering the e-bay parts, I think ordering the package, sans the LBJs might be a good plan (e-mail the vendor and see if he'll auction that package) and then pick up high quality lowers from another vendor.

3) Everything on the left side pressed in fine. You have to move the LBJ stud to the FRONT of the vehicle in order to slide the knuckle back on. You must disconnect the upper BJ and take the CV joint to its maximum in order to do this.

4) Inner tie rods are a huge pain the butt. Get a manual and use lots of wd-40.

5) I used nearly every tool I own to revamp the front end...you need (at least) a BJ press, sockets from 10 through 27mm, a big hammer, lots of open end wenches, a metric crows feet (my PS lines loosened up when I was moving the rack back and forth), pickle fork, lots of extensions, 3/8 universal (to disconnect the steering shaft from the rack), breaker bars, a torque wrench that goes up to 150 lb-ft, a big adjustable wrench (for the inner tie rods, I have no clue what size those nuts are), and new crimp rings and a crimper for the tie rod boots.

6) Count on a least 8, up to 12 backbreaking hours to the work and you'll be sore the next day. This project would have been a whole lot easier with a lift.

you deserve a six pack for your pain and the good write up!!!

thanks for all the info! you explained it very well, front ends are a 13itch but need to be done!

Update

The ball joints and tie rod ends feel really good. I'm really happy with the results.

The ol' truck feels so good that I've been driving it a lot lately, so much so that my 4r55e blew up. :fire:

Actually, 156k on the orginal trans isn't so bad.

Look for a write-up on a transmission, transfer case, and front pinion seal rebuild soon. Its currently sitting at a reputable shop in Palatine, IL (I save my thoughts on this shop until after I drive my truck home). However, I did learn an aweful lot today about 4405 transfer case rebuilds. More on that later.

At this point, I'm going to start calling my truck "Lee Majors"

"Green Explorer, a grocery getter turned weekend wheeler. A car barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic SUV. The Green Explorer will be that SUV. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

If I could only find a horn that went "na nananananana na"

Back