• Register Today It's free!

ease of installing a locker.

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ive been debating whether or not i want to install a "lunch box" style locker or one that replaces the carrier. I know the lunch box lockers are easier to install but arent as strong. How hard is it to install a locker that replaces the carrier or am i going to be getting my self into trouble? I've done alot of work on my truck and axles is the one thing ive stayed away from.

Installing a locker that requires the replacement of the carrier is a PITA unless you have the proper tools (Dial Indicator) and someone with you who has LOTS of experience. If you get the gear backlash wrong you will wear your gears out in a hurry and they will be noisy as hell. It can be done, but it's a pain. The big advantage of a standard locker is that you can unlock it and drive it as an open differential. The lunchbox lockers release in the corners, but they make noise and you occasionally get a little wheel chirp and a thump under the truck. They also add a little more backlash to the drivetrain.

Putting a lunchbox locker in is a piece of cake. Took me about 2 hours to put the No-Slip in my X. As for being not as strong as a standard locker, I have never heard of anyone breaking a Powertrax. After installing one and looking at how they are designed, you will bust an axle or a universal long before you bust the Powertrax. They are solid!

If ya go with the lunchbox locker, I can give ya a hand installing it if ya want.

I've done both and had no problem putting in a Detroit or Auburn. You will need a dial guage and some shims, but the entire process from disassembly to completion is 3-4 hours depending on your speed. $100 for a dial guage and stand is cheaper than paying someone - but there is value in knowing the job was done right. If you wanted to do it I bet you could, but the call is yours.

Jon

Back