Easily removing that pesky upper right TC bolt. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easily removing that pesky upper right TC bolt.

1998rollover

Reaction score
City, State
Weiser, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
I'm rebuilding the AWD TC on a 98 Mountaineer. Had previously done an R&R on another one but could not find the specially bent wrenches I'd used to get at the upper right bolt that can't be got at from the right side, even with the rear cats removed.

I recalled a nifty tool I'd seen at Harbor Freight. Item #62316 3/8" indexable head ratchet. It has a *sideways* rotating joint in the middle of the handle, with a rocker button to lock and unlock it. (Item #62315 is 1/2" drive.)

I set it to one or two stops past a 90 degree bend to hook the ratchet over the gusset on the TC adapter. Had that bolt out in minutes VS about an hour swapping between two wrenches with my arm squeezed between the transmission and the floor. Putting it back in should also be quicker.

That ratchet is going to save so much time on so many things. It should also save many a cheap end wrench from being twisted with torch, vise and pliers.

Also coming in handy on the job was a Titan extra long (TTN-11086) non-flex head 3/8" ratchet. It's longer than the big SK 1/2" ratchet I have and can get into many places the bulkier SK can't.

Those bolts are a pain. I found that those C-shaped wrenches work pretty well, although this might be better. A simple swivel-head ratchet also is useful. Thanks for the tip.

Back