Ecoboost 170 degree thermostat group buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost 170 degree thermostat group buy

EcoPowerParts

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Flex Ecoboost
I am offering a 170 degree thermostat group buy for Explorer Sport V6 owners.
The price is $60 shipped for the thermostat once we hit 15. If you are interested please reply here. Once we hit 15 (across multiple forums) I will close it and set up the payments.

For more information please read up here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am offering a 170 degree thermostat group buy for Explorer Sport V6 owners.
The price is $60 shipped for the thermostat once we hit 15. If you are interested please reply here. Once we hit 15 (across multiple forums) I will close it and set up the payments.

For more information please read up here

What's involved in installing these?

What's involved in installing these?
closcer said:
Just posting some pics and a positive experience doing this mod. Once the burping made sense to me and I did it right, the car runs noticeably cooler. I filled the overflow tank to cool lower line full, then let the car run with the cap off for 10 mins saw the air bubbles and heard the fans kick on and waited for the tstat to open.

That small bowl worked ok to catch the coolant spill, just had to slowly maneuver it around the hoses.

Is there something special about the ecoboost t-stat that it costs so friggin much?

I wish I knew, when I originally bought mine they were all over $110

What brand are these aftermarket 170* stats?

Count me down for me - Let me know when to pay

Is there something special about the ecoboost t-stat that it costs so friggin much?

When they were first developed for the 03-04 SVT Cobra it was a combo of 2 actual thermostats. In order to get the right size with the proper spring rate two of them needed to be disassembled and put back together with a combo of their parts.

I'm not sure if that is still the case but either way its a better thermostat and the only one out there that is the proper fit, so thats $$.

We're at 11 between both forums, 4 more and I'll order the T-stats

Ok count me in. Don't imagine it'd be much more. USPS good?

I'm in for one. Let me know how to proceed.

I contacted Reisch to see if these were CARB legal. First off, they were quick to respond and thorough. They did not know of any failures to pass smog. However, the thermostats are not CARB approved.

I contacted Reisch to see if these were CARB legal. First off, they were quick to respond and thorough. They did not know of any failures to pass smog. However, the thermostats are not CARB approved.
I didn't know thermostats required carb approval.

We're at 14 now across all boards, need 1 more and then I'll start the process rolling.

Maybe I'm just not that autosavvy but what's the purpose of a "170" degree thermostat. How does it compare to the stock and what difference will it make?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I'm just not that autosavvy but what's the purpose of a "170" degree thermostat. How does it compare to the stock and what difference will it make?

The thermostat is a device that has two states.. Open and Closed. When closed it holds coolant in the engine. The engine will warm the coolant (this is what's mostly happening when you warm up your engine). When the coolant temp reaches a certain temperature (170 on the aftermarket thermostat), then the thermostat opens allowing the coolant to run out from the engine into the radiator/cooler. This keeps the engine cool by constantly cycling hot coolant out and cooled coolant in.

There is debate about it's actual performance benefits, as well as possible detriments. Most that do the mod swear by it however. It makes sense that keeping the engine oil temps lower will increase performance and longevity of the engine (especially under heavy load from turbos or towing). I would think you'd need to adjust the temperature which the fans come on in order for it to be affective though. If you're cycling hot coolant that's never being cooled by fans cause it's temp is lower than the fan temp, I don't see how it helps.

Has anyone that has done this seen a problem w/ delayed amount of time for the engine to get to operating temperature? I'd be worried about the engine not heating up enough to burn out the water and condensation before driving around.

Back