Ecoboost in the Snow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost in the Snow

maerlim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
The very morning after I picked up my new 2012 Limited w/ Ecoboost, it snowed. It was a pretty typical midwest snow: snow on warm road initially melts, then blast of cold freezes it into ice, then 1-3 inches on top of the ice. The roads were pretty treacherous for the morning commute. On any other day I would have worked from home.

But was I going to miss my first opportunity to drive to work in the new Ex?
Was I going to miss my first opportunity to drive it in the snow?

Oh hell no! :)

After driving 2.5 hours (2 hours longer than usual) to work on the snow and ice, I'm going to have to rate the Explorer as "not bad". I did have some wheel spin when trying to accelerate uphill, I did have some sliding on straight-aways, and I did notice the antilock brakes kicking in on some stops. I didn't feel "out of control" at all during the trip, but there were control issues that I had to (easily) deal with.

All in all I'd give it a solid "B" on the icy wet stuff. Above average, but not great. I understand why Ford doesn't offer the Ecoboost in 4WD, but I wonder if there isn't some compromise to be had. Maybe have the Ecoboost power the front wheels only, except ALLOW it to drive the rear wheels exclusively when they're needed for traction or stability control. That way you could also keep the terrain management system in the Ecoboost/FWD. I would think that wouldn't add undue stress on the engine.

By the way, I traded in a 2007 AWD V6 RAV4 for my Explorer. That car was pretty rock solid in all weather (I'd give it an "A"). I was expecting similar performance from the FWD Explorer, mostly due to assumed advances in traction and stability control in the last 5 years.

So part of me is wondering... Were my expectations too high? Is the main difference the tires? The extra size/weight of the Explorer? The lack of 4WD? Less competent stability control? Probably a combination of all of the above.

OK I'll stop rambling now. Just wanted to give some impressions of the FWD in some icy stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other thing I'd add is that you drove the Rav4 for how long in the snow, and knew what it would do and how to make it do what you wanted. You've had the Ex for a day, not long enough to even be used to the pedal pressures and driving characteristics- let alone in the snow. Even conditions while appearing the same can be hugely different from snowfall to snowfall. I'd drive a few of them before beating yourself up over the choice... :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm not beating myself up, mostly making observations. As I said, on any other day I would have just stayed home. :) While I normally would avoid driving any vehicle in that kind of weather, it's good to evaluate to see what it can do if I need it.

I've had my 4wd Explorer in the snow, and it's performed extremely well. The best of all of the 4x4's I've had for snow on a road (3 other Explorers and an F-150). I'd bet it's because you're front wheel drive that it was a little less than you expected. Those extra 2 wheels being powered makes a huge difference.

Also, if you got the Limited, the tires that they come with aren't rated very well in the snow.

The very morning after I picked up my new 2012 Limited w/ Ecoboost, it snowed. It was a pretty typical midwest snow: snow on warm road initially melts, then blast of cold freezes it into ice, then 1-3 inches on top of the ice. The roads were pretty treacherous for the morning commute. On any other day I would have worked from home.

All in all I'd give it a solid "B" on the icy wet stuff. Above average, but not great. So part of me is wondering... Were my expectations too high? Is the main difference the tires? The extra size/weight of the Explorer? The lack of 4WD? Less competent stability control? Probably a combination of all of the above.

OK I'll stop rambling now. Just wanted to give some impressions of the FWD in some icy stuff.
I'm sure you would have had better performance with dedicated Winter tires. They usually have a softer rubber compound and a designed tread for a better grip. Don't forget so called all season tires begin to lose grip at 44 degree F. I have the Winter tires on my Limited and just came back from doing some shopping. We had a lot of snow here yesterday and although the roads are plowed, there is still a layer of hard packed snow on them. Never experienced any wheel spin and left the terrain management in Normal mode.

Peter

I'm sure you would have had better performance with dedicated Winter tires.
Peter

Couldn't agree more!! Personally, I would never buy a 2WD cross-over--especially if I lived somewhere which saw significant snow every year--but if I had no choice, I'd definitely have some dedicate winter tires on it.....no question.

Tim

Couldn't agree more!! Personally, I would never buy a 2WD cross-over--especially if I lived somewhere which saw significant snow every year--but if I had no choice, I'd definitely have some dedicate winter tires on it.....no question.

Tim
Welcome to the Forum TimGinCentralNJ. :wavey:
I see you haven't wasted any time posing on various threads.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum TimGinCentralNJ. :wavey:
I see you haven't wasted any time posing on various threads.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter-

I've actually been a lurker here since right before I leased our '11 Ex in July and, to be honest, have been busy with our other cars. Plus, the Ex is driven 99% of the time by my missus, so it's kind of difficult for me to get too excited over it when I'm not behind the wheel that much.

I am psyched about finding this community, for sure :)

Cheers,
Tim

Back