effects of tortion twist

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
So I discovered that after doing the tortion twist I gad a loud thunk coming from my front suspoension when going over a bump. Upon investigating I found that my front sway bar bushings were severely eroded, they were plit with like an 1/8 inch crack all the way across. Both sides wee nearly identical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My theory is this. When lifting the front end with the t-bars it goes to reason that the angle of the sway bar would change. Being that it is mounted to the frame using theses bushings and the little half circle bracket thingy. It would go to reason that this would be difficult for it to turn. If the bushings are allready old would they then split. Think I'll go check other areas but it is very cold today. What do you think is this likely

while i understand your theory i dont see it. reason is if you look at it there is no reason the sway bar shouldnt be able to twist that way. The bushings are straight ligned with the bars rotating axis

Originally posted by TheRookie
The bushings are straight ligned with the bars rotating axis

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you meant in this statement. My understanding is that if an object is lined with the rotating axis of the other object, they would then turn together. Is that what you mean? If so the bushing can not move it is locked into place via the mounts which also hold the bushings. Sorry, just got a litlle confused by your response, possibly just to early in the a.m for me

I didnt word that well. the sway bar buyshgins are like hinges. no matter how the sway bar is tilted they dont bind any worse.

dreamr I am having the same sounds as you and I couldnt figure out what it is but I think I might have the same thing as you. I would really like to undo the TT but I cant b.c I wont fit my 33s. I will looking in the daylight to see if I got the same thing. I had asked before if it was necessary to get some kind of swaybar extenders b.c a TT is a suspension lift and suspension lifts require sway bar extenders. I know the TT is only a small lift but still a lift. Thanks for sharing
Gary

*Rx4phun* I am unsure what you mean by sway bar extenders. do these raise the end links or lower the attachment point at the frame. I think I have seen both actually, but am no 4x4 buff by far. The motor well that's a fun game , suspension is scary to me. Personally the new lifted angles don't bother me, and I don't believe they are causing any concerns. This post was in reference to the possibility of the bushings (on the frame) splitting from the actual twisting motion. Which I don't believe would happen unless your bushings were already eroded. Possibly simply loosening the bracket around the bushing before the TT would have prevented this. Anyway it is just a theory. How did yours look?
*Rookie* Now I will be the first to admit that my knowledge is limited, but I must say that the sway bar connection either at the frame or the end-links in no way represents a hinge of any type. The bar is SOLIDLY mounted to the frame using a half circle bracket thingy which holds the bushing (also a half circle) which cannot rotate in the bracket. I believe that with a few years of use the sway bar probably won't turn in the bushing very easily also.
Where's all you mechanical wizards I am curious about all this

Ford's stock sway bar end links are notoriously lousy and usually end up "clunking" even with out a torsion twist. That's usually where the clunk comes from.

BTW, the swaybar is NOT solidly mounted to the frame. The sway bar can rotate up and down inside the frame bushings. The bushings are cut when they are made so they are easy to install over the swaybar, and then the clamp holds them in place. That's the gap you saw. Normally the gap isn't that big, but as they get old, they can dry out and shrink, as well as stick to the swaybar.

Jdraper thank you for the clarification. Like I said my knowledge is limited, so that goes a long way too explain. I have gone ahead and ordered some Energy Bushings for the front bar and will hopefully install this weekend pending the purchase of a new torque wrench. So do you believe that replacing the bushings will then correct the thunk or should I be looking into end-links also? I also noticed some bluish glue greasy stuff coming out around the bushings, what is this and is it something I need when replacing. It truly appears to have glued the bushings to the sway bar, but we will see with teardown. BTW i did realize that the bar should be able to turn in the bushings, but don't think mine is. It really appears to be glued in by age though.
*Rookie* I just re-read my last post and it was a bit terse. My apologies, must have been in a hurry to type my thoughts out or something

Replace the end links with Explorer Express or Energy Suspension end links. I'd bet that's where the clunk is actually coming from. The stock end links suck.

Someone may have greased the bushings to get rid of squeaking at some point. That may be what you are seeing. Make sure that you thoroughly clean the bar off before putting the new bushings in place. Remove any rust and/or dirt from the bushing area.

Thanks again for your advice JDraper. I will definately look into new end-links, probably have to wait a bit. But I guess that gives me a good excuse to get an EE sway for the rear also;) Too bad I didn't wait to order bushings, or I could have done it all at once.

Back