Electrical Issue to Starter 2003 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Issue to Starter 2003 Ford Explorer

DecidedLife

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer E. Bauer
I have not been able to start my 2003 Ford Explorer, and know there is an electrical/cable issue somewhere. I just get one click from the starter, but it does not turn.
Here is what I have done/can do:
I have checked the battery terminals and cables, and checked with a volt meter. There is a voltage drop at the S-Terminal on the starter (the cable itself), when cranking.
I can start it with a screwdriver by bypassing the starter solenoid.
So, I am trying to work through where the issues may be and how to test them (ignition switch? Neutral Safety switch....doesn't start in park or neutral, and there are no other signs that either of these are or have been faulty). The relay is good, I think. Fuses are fine.
I try to look at where the cable to the s-terminal might be going, but it is bundled and goes in many directions. Any help with where to look and test with a volt meter, etc would be great.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starter solenoid? if it clicks you are getting power to it.

I have not been able to start my 2003 Ford Explorer, and know there is an electrical/cable issue somewhere. I just get one click from the starter, but it does not turn.
Here is what I have done/can do:
I have checked the battery terminals and cables, and checked with a volt meter. There is a voltage drop at the S-Terminal on the starter (the cable itself), when cranking.
I can start it with a screwdriver by bypassing the starter solenoid.
So, I am trying to work through where the issues may be and how to test them (ignition switch? Neutral Safety switch....doesn't start in park or neutral, and there are no other signs that either of these are or have been faulty). The relay is good, I think. Fuses are fine.
I try to look at where the cable to the s-terminal might be going, but it is bundled and goes in many directions. Any help with where to look and test with a volt meter, etc would be great.
Thanks!
@DecidedLife
The starter solenoid on an '03 is an itty-bitty little guy inside the Battery Junction Box, under the hood. Doubtful you could hear it click, very faint sound. But, it's easily replaced, if faulty, which it might be. There is no other starter relay involved. The starter solenoid itself is a big-assed thing mounted on the starter motor. It's function is two-fold: to engage the starter pinion gear on the flywheel ring gear, and then to supply power to the starter motor itself. It has BIG contacts to handle the heavy current, which often fail. Then, a loud click is heard as it drives the gears into mesh, but no juice goes to the motor.

Replace the starter solenoid first, there are several identical ones in the box to use as substitutes, see owners manual for diagram of which is what. Don't mess with the fuel pump relay, obviously. If still no go, you have the option of ripping apart the starter for a look at the contacts (not sure if they are replaceable, though the solenoid itself USED to be. Or, buy a new starter.

I know of no way to test the function of the switch contacts using a meter, as they are contain ed within the assembly: they feed directly into the motor windings. imp

Thank you for your reply. It is not the relay. The click i hear is the starter. The pinion is sticking out, but not turning. I can make it turn by bypassing the solenoid with a screwdriver. The voltage drop comes before the solenoid. So I assume there is a connection issue in the cables somewhere from the solenoid up to the relay. Trying to find a way to find that voltage drop.
Thanks

Just a final report. The connecting part to the solenoid was disconnecting from the wire. I got a new piece and got it on and it started right up. Thanks for all the help!

Back