Electrical Issues including blower | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Issues including blower

Jeffanders

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011, Explorer XLT 4WD
As I was driving on the interstate my blower stopped working for my heater. It kicked back on for 5 minutes then went out again and stayed out. I parked and tried to lock the doors with the key fob and there was no response from the vehicle; none of the fob functions were working. My alternate key fobs were not functioning either, I tried to reprogram a fob with no change.
After looking for other malfunctions I found that both seat heaters were not working. I have not found any other issues.
I replaced the blower resistor as I saw that was a common response to blower issues, successful replacement but the blower is still not working. I have swapped out blower related fuses but still no blower and the other electrical issues remain.
Are the blower, seat heaters, and fob receiver on circuit? Am I now just going to chase wiring issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check fuse #46 Climate Control Module as well? I doubt that all these issues use the same circuit. It's strange that the fob functions no longer work. Make me think the issue is more involved than just a blower problem. Have yo checked for possible trouble codes?

Peter

Thanks for the welcome.

I just checked the climate control module (46) and that's still intact. The passive anti theft system module and the EATC module share some wiring per schematics but that's as much of a connection as I can draw.

I haven't scanned for codes, I just now started looking into ODB2 scanners, no clue what I should buy. Is the scan going to help if this boils down to a faulty wiring harness or something like that?

Thanks for the welcome.

I just checked the climate control module (46) and that's still intact. The passive anti theft system module and the EATC module share some wiring per schematics but that's as much of a connection as I can draw.

I haven't scanned for codes, I just now started looking into ODB2 scanners, no clue what I should buy. Is the scan going to help if this boils down to a faulty wiring harness or something like that?
It's hard to say for sure but it seems to be a handy tool to have. Some auto supply stores will do a free scan as well.

Peter

You mentioned features going away, then back, only to go away again. I'm in assumption someone left a connector loose during a previous service. Service history might help to find it.

It's hard to say for sure but it seems to be a handy tool to have. Some auto supply stores will do a free scan as well.

Peter
One thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes a negative battery cable disconnect for 10 minutes or so has been known to fix some issues. However, some saved memory settings might be erased.

Peter

One thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes a negative battery cable disconnect for 10 minutes or so has been known to fix some issues. However, some saved memory settings might be erased.

Peter
Looks like i'll be ordering an obd2. All fuses and relays in both boxes checked out, battery disconnected for 10+ minutes didn't result in any changes. Thanks for thinking about it and providing some feedback, much appreciated.

Back