Engaging 4x4 pulls to right

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
Question: What actually holds the axle in the spindle? There is a slot cut in the spindle side axle spline, is something supposed to be in that slot? Right now the axle can move in and out of the spindle at will. Little help would be greatly appreciated, pictures coming.

axle.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this the same for manual hubs? I wonder where I find one of those things...

I'm missing the splined washer too, apparently. Just blows me away, I have not had this open since I changed brake pads a few months ago. If those came off when I was doing that, then I am loosing my touch! Anyway, I found good part numbers. I'm going to check the other side to make sure I didn't lose those too. I believe I am good to go for now, thanks to Mr. Shorty!

Went to look at the other side for reference, it was missing the spring-clip and washer too! It has to have been like that when I bought it, unsure how the 4x4 actually worked last winter. The driver side seems like it would naturally stay in about the right position. But, the passenger side must have been stuck in place by sheer time and old grease.

Our best junkyard only had 3 1st gens left, all had these parts already gone. I felt like I needed to get this fixed immediately with the axle just flopping around in the spindle, so I hit the dealership, and they hit me back harder. Clip is $8, washer/spacer is now $18. Times 2 sides and tax, and I'm out at $57.

I'm going to buy spares now off the internet. I found the clip for $2, have not found the spacer/washer yet.

Getting them on was a surprising fight. Both sides would not give me enough axle to fit the clip... close, like maybe 1/16". Additional prying and cursing and they are on.

Discovered bad lower ball joints, both sides.

Spring Clip: FOTZ-3B457-A
Axle Spacer/Washer: FOTZ-3B458-A

Back