Engine died at idle, T-stat stuck open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine died at idle, T-stat stuck open

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
A few days ago, after driving my explorer for about five minutes, I let it idle in the driveway for about another five, and then i heard an abnormal clicking from under the hood. I opened the hood with the engine running, and the noise seemed to stop. About five seconds after I closed the hood, the engine stumbled and then died. I find this bad for a 35k OHV.

The tank was about a 1/4 full, and was on level ground and it was around 10*F outside.

Anyway, I was wondering if this has anything to do with the thermostat being stuck open. I am pretty sure it is stuck because it never quite gets up to temp and goes down when coasting down a hill. Is this an urgent thing to fix, or there any bad effects of leaving it for a while.
How much is this to fix at the dealer?
I hope that these problems are related, but I am assuming they are not :mad:

Any help appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thermostats can't be that expensive for these? I mean I spent $60 on one for my Camaro but thats because the thermostat and the water jacket are all one piece (gotta love GM), I can't imagine that when its 10 degrees out its good for your truck to to beable to heat up. Just go ahead and fix it.

They aren't very expensive, but how much will it be at the dealer.:rolleyes: It is really cold out today (-28*) and I am wondering what the negative effects are on the engine running colder than normal, and if the engine dying had anything to do with the thermostat.

I just replaced my Thermostat....again....the other day. I paid somewhere around 15 dollars and that was for the tstat, rubber gasket thing, and extra 50/50 premixed antifreeze. I wouldn't go to the dealer for this, they will charge you alot more than 15 minutes of your time is worth.

In all my years of working on vechicles I have never seen the two related! The thermostat needs changing! So change or have your thermostat changed! Its not doing you any good running cold in that weather!
BTW: 1 stumble or stall could just be a temporary thing like a drop of water or malfunction! If it continues then look for something! I found that adding adatives will cause this sometimes! In the winter in the north, companys will add gas line antifreeze to their gas so theres NO need to add gas line antifreeze unless you had a MAJOR ammount of water in your tank but then again that should be drained.

I just installed a new Stant 195 degree thermostat and it only cost me about $15 total. On the OHV, replacing it is simple. Just drain a few quarts of coolant out of the petcock at the bottom of the radiator, remove the air intake tube, take three bolts out and there is the thermostat. After you put the new one in, make sure to fill the radiator back up and let it run with the cap off to burp the system.

If you only get lukewarm heat along with the other problems you described, it's definately a stuck open thermostat.

On a side note, I thought the clicking in the engine bay was normal? Mine does that, I thought it was the A/C compressor kicking on and off.

I have not added any additives to my fuel, but there may have been sone condensation in the fuel.

I was worried that the engine dying might might be something serious, but it hasn't happened again and I had it idling for a while on a snow covered trail with no problems.

I have just purchased a thermostat, and in a few hours, I will install it. $13 is well worth it because it is $95 installed at the dealer :eek:

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will report back and hopefully be able to say I fixed the problem.

Hartman- I just saw your post. I am aware of the sound of the A/C compressor, but this was different. It was somewhat rhythmic, and I have been hearing it lately. It might just be becaise of the extreme cold.

Problem fixed!!! It was fairly easy to install, and I had only minimal spilling of coolant on the floor. :D I drained about a gallon out and replaced it with a 60/40 mix of collant/distilled water because of the cold temps.

I went from this :roll: :hammer: to this :redexp: in a little less than an hour.

Nice work.

Originally posted by \99sport\
Problem fixed!!! It was fairly easy to install, and I had only minimal spilling of coolant on the floor. :D I drained about a gallon out and replaced it with a 60/40 mix of collant/distilled water because of the cold temps.

I went from this :roll: :hammer: to this :redexp: in a little less than an hour.

Engine stumbled and died and a thermostat fixed it???
New one on me!
I'll have to remember that one! LOL!

Originally posted by old mechanic
Engine stumbled and died and a thermostat fixed it???
New one on me!
I'll have to remember that one! LOL!

No, that problem never happened again. The thermostat fixed the engine temp though. LOL! :D

Back