ENGINE NOISE

pigeoncreek1

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hi All...

I need some advice on a chainlike noise at the top end of the engine I am having in my '02 4.0L w/17,000 miles. The noise is not very loud when the engine is cold, but gets worse as the fluids come up to temp. It sounds like a 10 speed bike trying to shift gears! I read some old posts on bad cam tensioners, is this the problem? I had it to the Ford garage once and they said the noise was"normal" I called Ford and they told me the noise is not normal and that I need to take it back to be serviced. I made an appointment for next week, I would like to tell the service manager that i know what the problem is so I don't get the runaround again...any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Those tensioners might be a place to start, although the noise was more apparent at startup, not after warmup, and supposedly the faulty parts are no longer used. Is it a steady noise, or does it come and go?

The noise is steady, all through the RPM range. It just seems a bit louder after the engine is warm. Thanks!

Back