Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position?

I can't understand the complaint about this. It is 3 clicks to drive, 1 click to reverse. It is at eye level on the dash..

If you had a column shifter, you would have no choice but to look at the dash.

And why do people have to throw out the 50k price? It is no different then the 32k base..

Guess what, my 70k F350 only has it on the dash.. what was Ford thinking?

20170118_144311_zpsy124unu3.jpg

I swear some people just complain just because it is what they like to do.

Rant over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't understand the complaint about this. It is 3 clicks to drive, 1 click to reverse. It is at eye level on the dash..

If you had a column shifter, you would have no choice but to look at the dash.

And why do people have to throw out the 50k price? It is no different then the 32k base..

Guess what, my 70k F350 only has it on the dash.. what was Ford thinking?

20170118_144311_zpsy124unu3.jpg

I swear some people just complain just because it is what they like to do.

Rant over.
With the gear shift on the floor, it is just natural to look there to determine which gear you are in...on the steering column you look there. Some people like chocolate ice cream & some like vanilla.........not all people are the same

Prior to 2010 model years, most Ford products with floor shifters had the indicator only in the floor console with no indication in the cluster, of course many complaints came in that wanted the indicator in the cluster. I am sure Ford does this due to cost, in older cars that did not have display screens in the cluster, they had to make mechanical linkages to the cluster to get the indicator, keeping it only in the floor meant it was cheaper, in new cars with electronic clusters, it is a software add on with few more leds, or even a simple readout in the display screen, both cheaper & more reliable than mechanical linkages. I remember the 1996 Ford Taurus (the 1st year oval shape) had both, floor and cluster indicators, then in the next year they removed the cluster indicator for floor shifters, the practice those days was to "decontent" features.

I believe Ford's problem with the shift indicator is that most other auto manufacturers have indicators in both locations, so those coming to a Ford from another brand feel the difference.

I just bought an '18 for my wife and the only place I've been able to find the gear indicator is on the left info screen when one of the tach display options is selected AND while in sport/manual mode. Then and only then it seems to display a small number next to the tach as you shift. I'm used to my column shift '15 F150 showing all 6 gears and which one it's in like the 350 pic above. Drives me nuts.

I just bought an '18 for my wife and the only place I've been able to find the gear indicator is on the left info screen when one of the tach display options is selected AND while in sport/manual mode. Then and only then it seems to display a small number next to the tach as you shift. I'm used to my column shift '15 F150 showing all 6 gears and which one it's in like the 350 pic above. Drives me nuts.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that the XLT probably has the Type 2 display. On my 2011 the gear position indicator was shown as mentioned in your post and also under the speedometer and also on the console although it wasn't highlighted as on the dash.
Not sure what changes may have been made on the 2018.

Peter

I'm guessing that the XLT probably has the Type 2 display. On my 2011 the gear position indicator was shown as mentioned in your post and also under the speedometer and also on the console.
Not sure what changes may have been made on the 2018.

Peter

Thanks! And yes, from what I understand it's the type 2 display. I was hoping I was missing something stupid like pushing the + button on the shifter to enable it like my F150, or maybe a Forscan mod to enable it, but it seems impossible from all the searching I've done. Funny how they give you the eco gauge, but no way to tell it's in the top gear while doing that. But I suppose the designed it for people who don't care about whats going on and just want the vehicle to get them from point A to point B.

I can't think of a single time I've ever cared what gear it was in. Not in this, or any other vehicle. Unless I was shifting manually, which is extremely rare, as I don't find it useful.

Gear indicator on the shifter you say?

2011-bmw-x3-xdrive28i-gear-shift-knob.jpg

I can't think of a single time I've ever cared what gear it was in. Not in this, or any other vehicle. Unless I was shifting manually, which is extremely rare, as I don't find it useful.
There are times I think you'd want to know it was in reverse, especially if you park in a garage.:D I find I seldom look at the display as well.

Peter

There are times I think you'd want to know it was in reverse, especially if you park in a garage.:D I find I seldom look at the display as well.

Peter

I have the backup camera, so it's pretty hard not to know when it's in reverse!

The gear indicator light by the gear shift lever does not light up to indicate what gear the vehicle is in. Can this be just a bad bulb?

The gear indicator light by the gear shift lever does not light up to indicate what gear the vehicle is in. Can this be just a bad bulb?

That's normal.. it does not light up.

Yeah, it does Not light up, the gear information is shown on the display right below the speedometer.

Your thread was merged with the existing one.
Thank you for confirming it is working as designed.;) I actually couldn't recall if that was correct or not when first reading your post. I seldom look at the shifter position designations on the console.

Peter

That's normal.. it does not light up.
I think I didn't state my question clearly. When my headlights come on the PRNDS on the console light up white. As I move the shifter the lights don't change to indicate what gear I'm in. Is that normal? In my wife's Buick Enclave the appropriate letter changes to red as the shifter is moved from one position to another indicating what position the shifter is in. If it's not supposed to do that in the Explorer Sport, why did Ford bother to put the letters on the console and illuminate them?

I think I didn't state my question clearly. When my headlights come on the PRNDS on the console light up white. As I move the shifter the lights don't change to indicate what gear I'm in. Is that normal? In my wife's Buick Enclave the appropriate letter changes to red as the shifter is moved from one position to another indicating what position the shifter is in. If it's not supposed to do that in the Explorer Sport, why did Ford bother to put the letters on the console and illuminate them?

You stated it correctly and that is normal, only on the instrument cluster does it change and tell you what gear you are in.

Also a few of you are talking different things. On the F150 you can hit the + and the numbers 1 thru 6 show up and let you know what gear you are in. On the explorer this is not an option.

As the PRNDS on the side of the shiftier it does not show which direction you are going you have to look at the dash to see that.

As for never using the numbers, when I Tow I look at them and make sure I don't let the truck get into to high a gear, so when I press the gas I go. For my EX I have never really felt the need for them. Hope this helps clear up the mud

Mike

......... If it's not supposed to do that in the Explorer Sport, why did Ford bother to put the letters on the console and illuminate them?
This applies to all trim levels, not just the Sport. It's much easier to use the dash display without having to look down at the console. As to why Ford has done certain things, you'll have to get in line to find out.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I just recently traded my 2013 Explorer Sport for a 2019 Explorer Sport, loving it so far. I just noticed though that the gearshift lever indicator on the center console does not light up at night, the PRNDS letters, it’s not a big deal but I remember on my 2013 it used to light up. Was that little light deleted for 2019? Or is mine just burnt out? Wouldn’t surprise me if that light was deleted, since they deleted one of the horns for 2019 also, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Back