Engine Vibrates/Shakes - No misfire, Runs fine w/ video. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Vibrates/Shakes - No misfire, Runs fine w/ video.

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL
Hey guys,

Wondering if anybody has any insight into what could cause the engine to shake like this? I only have a video of the shifter shaking and not the actual engine but you can get an idea of how much movement there is. The video is me stopped, in 1st gear (the clicking you hear is the turn signal)

Engine runs fine, accelerates fine, no misfire (that I can detect), gas mileage is normal, no black/blue/odd smoke out of the tail pipe and the only code is a for a purge solenoid. The vibration doesn't really get worse as RPM increases, and is actually worst as you accelerate from a stop as you let off the clutch. Engine vibrates the same if it's in neutral or in gear.

Feels like something is out of balance on the motor but I have no idea what that could be or where to start looking.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers :thumbsup:

That does look excessive but it could very well be a motor or trans mount. Might crawl under the car while it's running and see what's moving underneath. Make sure to have the parking brake on and someone inside just in case.

Back