Engine won't crank - battery saver relay ticking when off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine won't crank - battery saver relay ticking when off

kgpatena

Reaction score
City, State
Tomahawk,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Sport
Hello all,

Since I have referenced this site many times in the past, it only seems appropriate to finally register! Anyway, I haven't had any problems starting my Explorer prior to today. When I try to turn the engine over I get nothing. The battery is holding 12V (newer battery). The cables are tight also on the terminals. I get headlights when I tried that. However, when the vehicle is off, the battery saver relay keeps switching. I pulled the relay and it stopped, so I know it's that relay. The relay itself isn't bad because I swapped other relays in for it and vice versa, with the problem still persisting. I don't know much about the circuitry and haven't been able to find much on the topic thus far anywhere else.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

How about the neutral start relay? Try moving the shifter aroun as you turn the key to start.

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a manual transmission, so I don't have a neutral start relay. I do, however, have a starter clutch pedal position switch but I'm not convinced that's the problem. What do you think?

starting circuit

I don't have a 1995 wiring diagram so below is from a 1996 wiring diagram. Since you have a manual transmission you must have the 4.0L OHV V6.

Fuse 1 (60 amp) in Power Distribution Box > yellow wire > Ignition Switch
> red/light blue wire > Fuse 24 (10 amp) in Interior Fuse Panel
> red/light blue wire > Anti-theft Relay in Relay Module
> wht/pink or pink wire > Clutch Pedal Position Switch
> red/lt blue wire > Starter Relay > Chassis gnd

You might be able to hear the starter relay click. I believe you can swap the starter relay with the blower motor relay. If there's no voltage at the starter relay when the ignition key is in start then trace back toward Fuse 1 until you find voltage. If you have voltage at the starter relay and you've swapped the starter relay then your problem is in the primary power path to the starter solenoid or the starter.

Battery + > red wire > Starter Relay > blk wire > Starter Solenoid > gnd

Battery + > red wire > Starter Motor > gnd

Back