Engine won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine won't start.

krauseclearlake

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt 4x4
My 2005 explorer will not start. It does nothing when you turn the key. Message says low oil pressure and low tire pressure. with the key in the on position the only lights that are on are, check gauges, check engine. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Does the starter crank? Did you try a different key? Did you check the battery with a multimeter?

starter does not crank. battery is 12.5. fuel pump is working. didnt try a different key.

Did U try jumping it? Tapping on the starter while turning key?

Had a similar problem a few months ago. Turned out to be the tranny shift cable (I think?). Try to start it by turning the key to the ACCESORY position, sliding the shifter from "P" to the "N" position and turning the key to START. Ignore the shifter position needle and "feel" the movement from P to R to N. Mine won't start in PARK about 50% of the time and I haven't had time to disassemble the steering column and/or replace the shifter cable. My research has shown that the linkage to the shifter inside the steering column could be broken or the the shift cable connection to the tranny could be loose/broken or the shift cable itself just needs replacement.

Let us know if this works for you.

Michael

Back