ERROR CODE P0581, P0732, P0735, P0735 OD LIGHT BLINKING and SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ON. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ERROR CODE P0581, P0732, P0735, P0735 OD LIGHT BLINKING and SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ON.

alexcan

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer, XLT
Hello Alex here, I have the following codes on my 2004 Ford Explorer: P0581, P0732, P0735, P0735, the OD light is blinking and the service Engine Soon Light came on. The vehicle Mileage is 124k, last time I have remembered serviced the transmission is 90,500 miles. I saw a video and my hunch feeling is a $22 speed sensor. Any ideas?

P0732 and P0735 are gear ratio codes for 2nd and 5th gears, both these gears use the OD band to operate correctly. Chances are the OD band is not able to come on due to a couple of reasons, first would be the OD band is broken (these transmissions are known for broken bands), second would be the servo that applys the band has failed (seen this many times too), third would be the OD band adjustment bolt has worked its way loose and the band is way out of adjustment.

To test adjust the OD band using the band adjustment bolt, start by seeing if its loose then if its good adjust the band adjustment bolt in, if it turns more than 3 turns in the band is broken, if it tightens down then back off two turns and lock it down, then remove and inspect the OD servo piston.

That may sound easy but doing this in the vehicle is a PITA but it might save you from having to rebuild it.

These transmission rarely have speed sensor problems, plus the vehicle uses all three sensors all the time for all gears, if the one of the sensors was bad you will have a different set of codes.

Back