• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Headers/Manifold - 5.0L

White86Tercel

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0AWD
Does anyone have recommended exhaust manifolds/headers to buy now that Torque masters and OBX headers getting hard to find.

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L XLT (Manufactured 02/98).
-Currently stock planning to upgrade intake/exhaust/tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are the only options.

Get the oem ford replacement ones. The Dorman units are not very well made.

I know this has probably been asked 600 times before but the only performance I've done to my EX is a K&N cone filter so I'm still not really up on my Explorer 5.0L knowledge so forgive me for asking again but what does it take to get a set of Mustang 5.0L headers to fit on the EX?
Or can it just not fit do to the space between the Engine and the frame or is it something greater than that?

Sorry Tercel I'm not trying to high jack your thread Homie :chug:

Essentially, it's STUPID tight between the frame rails for the 5.0, particularly for the exhaust.

The starter is only a bit behind the right engine mounting plate and the steering shaft is seriously in the way on the left.

So, the right exhaust needs to exit above the starter, almost straight towards the back of the vehicle.

On the left, Ford crunched in the oil sump to allow the left exhaust drop straight down, very very tightly up against the block/oil sump.

Yea, the 5.0 is in there tight.

So, to redirect back to the original question, the only other exhaust option:

Long out of the the Ford parts system but they still pop up used are a set of Ford Racing Parts exhaust headers for the 5.0 Explorer. Read of a guy that found a NOS set at his local Ford dealer a year ago or so.

Not exactly unicorn horns, but quite uncommon.

The Torque Monsters do show up used with some regularity.

Used, the TM's and FRP's would take time and luck, but they are out there if OBX cannot reestablish availability.

Essentially, it's STUPID tight between the frame rails for the 5.0, particularly for the exhaust.

The starter is only a bit behind the right engine mounting plate and the steering shaft is seriously in the way on the left.

So, the right exhaust needs to exit above the starter, almost straight towards the back of the vehicle.

On the left, Ford crunched in the dino fluid sump to allow the left exhaust drop straight down, very very tightly up against the block/dino fluid sump.

Yea, the 5.0 is in there tight.

So, to redirect back to the original question, the only other exhaust option:

Long out of the the Ford parts system but they still pop up used are a set of Ford Racing Parts exhaust headers for the 5.0 Explorer. Read of a guy that found a NOS set at his local Ford dealer a year ago or so.

Not exactly unicorn horns, but quite uncommon.

The Torque Monsters do show up used with some regularity.

Used, the TM's and FRP's would take time and luck, but they are out there if OBX cannot reestablish availability.

Thank you for all the info Buddy.

It's the heads as well. The GT40P have the spark plugs at an angle. I have the OBX headers on my vehicle after installing them it's more than just the frame. You have the steering link, upper shock support to just name a few things. Be patient in the search I waited 14 years for a set.

SoHK_alumini - do you know if there any option to make other headers fit?

• Notching the Frame to clear These headers
  • An adapter plate to move the starter
  • A lift kit that provides extra space to work

On the left, Ford crunched in the oil sump to allow the left exhaust drop straight down, very very tightly up against the block/oil sump.

Moving the starter is not a real option.

Body Lift kit will do no good because the engine is mounted to the frame.

Some folks notch the frame but from a structural standpoint do that and your asking for trouble..

IMO

Don't know if it will work.
Exhaust manifolds from a 1995 F150.
Looks like they might work with some mod to the exhaust piping.
Cost about $150 new set. Should cost less from a wreckyard.

Those wI'll not work due to spark plug angle.

I have a thread on here where I took the header style manifolds and opened them up.

What about these?
They are made for P heads.
These are Not FMS-P50 headers for Mustangs.

Update: Called company, no longer available, lack of interest. :(

Torque monster, obx, or frpp specifically designed for the explorer. Only.

You'll have just as much luck fitting LS headers in there as you will with anything other than mentioned.

I called Al's headers Thursday of last week and bought the last set. They arrived yesterday. These things are awesome. She told me that they will try to have another set built soon. I suggest that you call Al's and talk to Erica. I know that a bunch of people had bad experiences here, but I gave it a shot. I am happy.

I am probably going to get a local exhaust shop to make something similar to the Torque Monsters.

I called Al's headers Thursday of last week and bought the last set. They arrived yesterday. These things are awesome. She told me that they will try to have another set built soon. I suggest that you call Al's and talk to Erica. I know that a bunch of people had bad experiences here, but I gave it a shot. I am happy.

What is the contact info over there?
You are talking al's headers as in torque monsters right?
How much did you spend?

Thanks

What is the contact info over there?
You are talking al's headers as in torque monsters right?
How much did you spend?

Thanks

I don't have the receipt, by it was around $875 shipped. I priced out building my own, not worth it.
Google Al's headers California. I do have Erica's personal cell# somewhere in my call history if all else fails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back