Exhaust on 4.0 SOHC????

sk1er17

My "Jeep Thing" itches...
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hey guys. I thought i was done working on my X but i realized the other day that if i felt like it- i could put a new muffler on myself. I started working at an auto-place (STS) a month ago.

Anyways.. has anyone put exhaust on a 4.0 SOHC? I have a 98 sport so i would need a dual in/single out muffler.

Does this sound like crap or is it actually worth it?

Any power loss or increase?

If you have done this and it sounds good, what kind of muffler did you use and where did you get it from?

A lot of people say the Flowmaster 50 series is the way to go but i know there are a lot of other types out there... i dont want to pay for the flowmaster name if another brand is better.

Thanks.

What up dude long time no talk.

Anyway for your exhaust go with the flowmaster dual chamber muffler. I feel it is the best bang for the buck muffler available. I have one on my X (OHV) with 2.5" pipe and have gotten many compliments on how it sounds.

you have a v6 too right? where'd you get yours from... local shop or ordered?

Im looking for a nice sounding exhaust but nothing thats annoyingly loud while driving or that sounds like a ricer.

Yea I have the v6 but the ohv. I orderd the muffler from summit for like $75 then went to an exhaust shop and had them weld it on and weld some pipe from the cat back for about $100. Total cost $175 +/-

The muffler is quiet under normal driving conditions. Above 3,000 rpm's it starts to get a little loud (not ricey loud) but I also have full air intake and a larger throttle body. If you are running stock intake (or kkm) and stock throttle body it won't be loud.

Back