• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust sound and headers..

skia4life89

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 LIMITED
I wanting to get either the 40super series or 50 series exhaust for my 5.0 ex. (Both dual in dual out) Ive listened to some videos of both setups and i love them both. But some of the vids people had headers on their ex's. Does having headers change the sound when you get an exhaust, as aposed to stock headers?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headers will change the sound. The real benifit of the Torque Monster Headers is the power you gain.

Personally I'd go with a Magnaflow but if you are dead set on Flowmaster get a 50 series. The 40 is a droning SOB.

I also recomend a dual in single out.

haha i hear ya man. Im thinking about just getting 2.25 in 2.25 out. with either setup. Im kind of a newb at the whole exhaust thing, so is that ok? i just want a nice deep sound, without getting alot of modifications and what not.

For ease and least expense go with a 2.25 dual in 2.25 single out. The reson for the dual in is where the shop needs to weld the muffler on is a dual system. If you go single in the shop will need to put a Y pipe in which will cost more money.

For ease and least expense go with a 2.25 dual in 2.25 single out. The reson for the dual in is where the shop needs to weld the muffler on is a dual system. If you go single in the shop will need to put a Y pipe in which will cost more money.

true that. i get the whole dual in or single in thing. I figured dual out wud be more expense. is there any difference in performance or sound between dual or single?

The sound will be the same. Explorers seem to perform better with the dual in single out.

FWIW, I have a dual in/single out Magnaflow in the stock exhaust (with hollowed rear cats and deleted resonator) and am very, very pleased with the sound.

FWIW, I have a dual in/single out Magnaflow in the stock exhaust (with hollowed rear cats and deleted resonator) and am very, very pleased with the sound.

Torque Monster's, all 4 cats, Magnaflow dual 2.25 in single 2.50 out 2.50 tail pipe & no resonatorand she sounds beautiful.

Torque Monster's, all 4 cats, Magnaflow dual 2.25 in single 2.50 out 2.50 tail pipe & no resonatorand she sounds beautiful.

TMH, front cats, Flo Pro dual 2.25" in, single 2.5" out, 2.5" pipe, aftermarket resonator. It purrs. Little sound in the cab but sounds nice if I stomp on it.

Dan, I've love to hear your Magnaflow. I have one in the garage with barely a month on it (I used it on the SOHC Sport and it sucked, but I hear great things about it on the 5.0. Can't remember why I didn't install it on the EB.

I didn't get a noticeable change in exhaust note when i installed my Torque Monster headers. I still have my original muffler, resonator and 4 cats on though with the exception of a K&N filtercharger intake.

The only audible change i got from the headers was a constant ticking that goes with the engine :D i think i've tried 3 different kinds of header gaskets and these things would not seal up properly. I have the ones that Bob includes with the headers installed right now and after re-torquing them back to spec they still tick :(

I'm thinking of putting hi-temp sealant on these things just to hush them up..

I didn't get a noticeable change in exhaust note when i installed my Torque Monster headers. I still have my original muffler, resonator and 4 cats on though with the exception of a K&N filtercharger intake.

The only audible change i got from the headers was a constant ticking that goes with the engine :D i think i've tried 3 different kinds of header gaskets and these things would not seal up properly. I have the ones that Bob includes with the headers installed right now and after re-torquing them back to spec they still tick :(

I'm thinking of putting hi-temp sealant on these things just to hush them up..

I noticed just a small sound change with just the headers as well. The stock muffler and resonator kills a lot of the sound.

I noticed just a small sound change with just the headers as well. The stock muffler and resonator kills a lot of the sound.

I found it just sounds better. Perhaps it's psychological, but I'm OK with that. :D

i dont think anyone saw this and i need a quick answer...is 3 out a good idea?

Nothing wrong at all with it other than the cost of having a 3" tail pipe made.

If you want to go that route why not go with a MAC cat back system?

Check out the MAC here www.hensonperformance.com

Nothing wrong at all with it other than the cost of having a 3" tail pipe made.

If you want to go that route why not go with a MAC cat back system?

Check out the MAC here www.hensonperformance.com

well im having a hard time finding a 2.25 dual in 2.25 single out. the only thing i can find are 2.25 sing in 2.25 dual out. like are super 44 and 50 series reversiable?

also this magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12251/ says its reversable, but does that affect the sound or anything? thanks..

Here's my setup. Dual In/Out 2.5'' Flowmaster 40 Series. No rear cats, Torque Monster Headers. And from time to time I un cap my exhaust right behind the front cats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back