Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you don't own CD's, your best bet... is using HD Radio.

Those of us with a USB port have that option too. I have some music as uncompressed wav files that sound really good, but 320kbps mp3's would serve the same purpose.

Sirius is garbage in, garbage out as far as sound quality, unfortunately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if it was just me, but initially I tried getting my upgraded system running using an lc2i and wasn't completely successful. Factory speakers were replaced with Rockford. I grabbed my signal from the Sony amp outputs for the LC2i. I tried both front and rear woofer (midbass) outputs. I didn't feel I was getting crisp highs. It seems like the front woofer or rear woofer signals aren't full range. Today I switched over to an LC7i and i feel like it sounds much better than before. The highs are much cleaner/crisper than before. Factory speakers were replaced with Rockford.

I used the LC7i to sum front (L/R) tweeter signal, front (L/R) woofer signal, and sub signal.

It could be something was wrong with my LC2i. Can anyone comment on this? Is it a possibility the Sony amp has built in crossovers and not send the full range signal to the woofers/mid bass?

Also thank to everyone for all the help on this thread.

My Install:

Finally got about 90% complete on my install.

First, want to thank all that have contributed thus far to this and other related threads.
danxmanly in particular, thanks for the idea on the location to drill for firewall access. Drilling wasn’t all that difficult at all, getting the damn grommet in there situated properly took me forever...mainly because of my crap drill job ;) .

Wiring diagrams for the Sony amp have been posted a few times after I really dug into searching but the first one I found to be legit was posted by Rudsther2435 – thanks – from what I can tell, that document you scanned/took pix of is legit! (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388000 )

Onto the gear:

JL Premium Amp install kit (4g power/ground line)
Polk Audio db6501 Components for Front
Stock rear speakers (for now)
JL 12W6v2 in sealed box ¾” MDF all around except 1” front
JL 300/4 amp (driving fronts only for now)
JL 500/a amp (driving sub)
Audio Control EQX (REALLY OLD model – picked up off Ebay for $30 probably 8+ years ago)
JL Cleansweep CL441DSP & CL-SSI
A few spare pieces of 4G cabling for ground and power runs I had from previous installs.

Signal Flow – Cut Sony amp speaker level output wires feeding front mids and tweets as well as the sub channels. All of those signals feed into the JL CL-SSI signal summer unit, which then feeds into the main CL441dsp. From there, the signal runs into the EQX and splits off full range to the 300/4 for the front mids/highs and out of the mono low output to my 500/1 for the sub.
* Problem – I couldn’t for the life of me figure out the “preamp outputs from the deck”. The 4 signals I found coming from the deck all had zero volume control, meaning I had high volume coming out of them whether or not the deck music volume was up or down. I couldn’t figure this out for the life of me given that so many people have said they have taken “rear” line level outs from the amp location. After many hours of trying to figure that out, I gave up and went with the Sony amp spkr level outputs which I REALLY did not want to do. Would love to see some input on this from others.

Gear Location – I thought this was pretty cool myself but I located my mid/high amp in the factory location of the 8” sub. It fits pretty well in there, although currently I have it secured with simple zip ties. The main issue is if I have to adjust it at all I need to rip apart the rear cabin but in the many years I had that amp in my previous vehicle I never touched it after it was installed so I am hoping to have the same luck here, save for a planned future upgrade of the rear spkrs possibly… I located the sub amp in the spare tire rim – removing the jack and tool accessories. I have relocated those to under the front seats so as to still have the tools in the vehicle in the event I need ot change the spare. The spare still resides in the vehicle as well, just need to lift the amp out of the way to remove the tire…fair trade I suppose. Since ther was so much room in the passenger side rear ¼ panel I may 1 day look into the driver side panel to see if that amp can be installed there.

That leaves the 2 JL cleansweep units and the EQX. I decided to mount all of those on a thin particle wood board I covered in black fabric in the rear cargo area atop the spare tire cover. The size of the wood panel is roughly 32” x 12”. I could have went smaller but I figured I would save space in case I added a future component and I went ahead and mounted my power distro block and rear fuse holder there as well so those things weren't flopping around in the back. I don’t have a pic of this yet as I am not done cleaning it up. The cool thing here is that all of the pieces are low profile enough to have a bit of space in the event that the rear seats fold completely down for storage. I believe this whole thing could have been set under the 2nd row seats if I wanted, though I think I would have had to break up the wood into two pieces, and then run the risk of something stepping on it when entering/exiting from the 3rd row – no thanks!

Amp power – I used an old JL ANL fuse block from a previous install and mounted that on the driver side ledge in the engine bay near the top of the strutt in such a way that there is easy access to the strut bolts if needed. Routed the cable down and through the whole and I drilled in pretty much the same location as danx. One thing to note, I suspect this is the same on all our late model Explorers but I believe dan mentioned there was a double firewall in this area. From what I can tell, that is incorrect as I easily went through that metal and determined that there was no empty space in between. I could be wrong and could be getting my firewall posts mixed up (too lazy to check right now) but just wanted to throw that out there. Side note, I couldn’t find that groment behind the glovebox that so many people have mentioned in other post. I’m either an idiot or blind, or both but I must have wasted another 3 hours looking for that freagin thing. Besides, running power from driver side made the cable run shorter anyway so I am glad I didn’t find a way to do it over there.. I have ordered some temp shield wire tubing to cover the amp cable to help protect it from the heat of the engine bay – just in case! Getting the cable back to the rear of the car wasn’t much of a hassle at all, most of the side panels snap out pretty easily. The only pain was getting it under the rear ¼ panel piece, it took quite a bit of work to wedge the bottom out enough to fit the cable in. couldn’t imagine doing that with 0g cable…oh boy. Ran the spkr line the same way, along with the cleansweep volume control cable as well.

Front door speaker install:
I must have spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to run new spkr cable into the door. I thought of fishing new cable in using the old cable as a pull…thought better of that given the size of the openings I could find and the compactness of the cables – also it appears they are all taped together within the bundle…so yea, I don’t think that would have worked. Then I had what at least I feel is a genius thought. Not sure if anyone else has done this but I said “Self – The freagin stock cabling running to the spkr isn’t that much thinner than what I was planning to run into the doors myself (16g) and its actually thicker than what came with the damn speakers out of the box (what appears to be 20g) so I am assuming the factory wiring is 18g. More than sufficient to run the final 2-3’ from the foot well into the door. So I cut the cables running from the amp to the speakers, spliced in my crossed over cables from the passive box I mounted in the footwells behinds cables and was off to the races. Once I had that done I wanted the 3 hours back I spent trying to figure out how to run new cables into the doors…absolutely no reason to in my application – only pushing ~75w to those spkrs ea….~18g is more than adequate! The Polk tweeters are a bit larger than stock so they don’t fit exactly into the area the stocks do. As such, I had to hot glue them in. figured that was best bet for easy removal later if necessary. Set the tweeter gain to -3 (hate harsh highs) and off to the races. Need to tune high-end just a bi with EQX but for out of the box setup with zero eq tuning, I think it sounds really good. Install note – there are 3 bolts (10MM – 1 behind the door release handle and two behind the a panel behind the door “grab” bar/arm rest) holding the door on and a bunch of plastic clips – two other screws that are 6mm if I remember correctly, on the bottom edge of the door.

Initial impressions:

Love, Love LOVE the Polk speakers. For the money, hands down the best component set out there that I have personally tried in the 100w power range. I have owned MB Quart, Diamond Audio Hex and IDQ and DEI components, tried Focal, RF, JL etc…. all of those costs hundreds and hundreds more (well, all accept the DEI stuff) and initial impressions are these stand up really well. I give it to Polk on this one, they knocked it of the park for what could be considered a budget component set @ $199 MSRP. Not sure I see a reason to spend $400 more on a top tier JL or focal or Dyanaudio etc set and get 10—15% “better” sound…maybe. I’m also not going to push a ton of power to the spkrs as I don’t want to change amps so it works out well for me. Bass from sub sounds clean. Sitting in middle seats, sound is good as well, the rear doors and tweets fill in nicely back there. Again, impressed they don't really distort like the stock fronts did at high volume.

A few notes for anyone looking to do any of this stuff:
If you are removing the rear interior ¼ panels – do yourself a favor and tape up (wide painters tape or masking tape etc) the area just under the rear tweeter in the pillar down to the intersection of plastic pieces. This will prevent the scratches you will get if you do not do this. Thankfully, plastic scratches on that material buff out pretty well but not completely – so far as I can tell. I have a few battle scares on the plastic to show for it.

All told, I spent about 40-50 hours by myself working on this project over the last 2 weeks. I’d say in total, about 15 hours were wasted chasing dumb problems, making many trips to stores, searing online for help etc. I think if I had it all over to do again knowing what I know now, I could probably knock it out in 12hrs with 1 store run counted in there. Happy to say that I did all of this and didn’t break any clips or lose any pieces or stock screws – pretty sure a first for me in any automotive project ever!
Initial impressions of the cleansweep deal is it works as advertised. I did some quick looks at signal pre and post EQ on it and it definitely flattens out the signal curve. There are a few dips and peaks in the curve naturally from Sony for whatever reason but all told, the Sony signal didn’t seem all that bad. Bass isn’t where I would like it to be at low volume, I need to experiment with ways to fix that. I think the stock head unit or amp may apply volume dependent equalization, but typically stock stereos up the bass at lower volumes. More testing will tell the story.

Oh, finally, I mounted (semi) the volume control knob under the center arm rest. I think I’ll typically leave that thing cranked to 75% and control system volume from the Sony knob. The problem is I have to remember that the rears and ctr channel are still completely controlled by the Sony system, until that changes, I’ll always have to balance out what knob ot use and when. It’s no biggy really, I use the Sony knob 97% of the time and I don’t crank it passed a set point.
I guess that’s it for now. For the future, I need to redesign my sub box so that it fits while allowing the rear seats to fold up for seating. I have decided to accept that one seat will always have to be at least partially setup for seating which is fine, but right now, the back cannot come up which means I have a 6 seater…

Hope this is helpful to at least 1 person out there… I certainly thank everyone who contributed to this and other posts on the topic.

A few pix of the location I put the amp - I had every intention of taking more throughout the process but I am just terrible at that!

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

Thanks a ton for the write-up, CalifLove!!!!

Tony

[MENTION=237166]danxmanly[/MENTION] ; on the 2011's they have a grommet behind the glove compartment. Does ours not?

* Problem – I couldn’t for the life of me figure out the “preamp outputs from the deck”. The 4 signals I found coming from the deck all had zero volume control, meaning I had high volume coming out of them whether or not the deck music volume was up or down.

Did you determine that with a voltmeter, or just hook up all your gear and it didn't work as planned? Not saying you're wrong (and I don't know the right way to do it either), but I can't fathom how the system works if those cables aren't volume controlled in some way.

Thanks for the writeup too. Wishing I had the time and money to attempt something similar at the moment.

Did you determine that with a voltmeter, or just hook up all your gear and it didn't work as planned? Not saying you're wrong (and I don't know the right way to do it either), but I can't fathom how the system works if those cables aren't volume controlled in some way.

Thanks for the writeup too. Wishing I had the time and money to attempt something similar at the moment.

You know what, I didn't and that would have made sense. I think I was so over it at the time that I just rushed to judgment. What I did do was I had 2 of the lines tapped and running into an RTA I have (dbx Driverack loudspeaker processor) from work and noticed amplitude not changing at all with volume changes on the dash. I was playing a test tone cd so I saw what appeared to be that signal but I actually didn't have output from the processor to "hear" what the sound was, so thinking about it now it could have very well been noise and not signal at all... I also semi verified this with a small spkr connected directly to one of the 4 cables as well - the other strange thing is I couldn't figure out a negative to any of those signals. They all appeared to be positive. In theory there should be 8 leads for 4 channels ( Front L/R +/- & Rear L/R +/-), by process of elimination I couldn't make the cable count work to account for signal 4 channel signal send to the amp between the 3 plug connectors accounting for Ground, Pwr, 22 cables for the spkr runs from amp and a turn on lead - pretty sure I counted a total of 31 cables running to the amp. At the end of the day, I probably just didn't spend enough time working on that because in the back of my head I was thinking that the signals were probably not full range anyway - based on what has been posted earlier.

I am going to need to rip into the rear 1/4 panel at some point in the near future to reset my amp gains (adjusted my EQX) and now I have slight clipping at high volume - so I'll try to set some time to experiment with those feeds again. More to come but it may be a while, kind of over working on the car now and its time for a wash/sealant/wax which is another whole day affair...

Getting to the door speakers is easy - follow a thread or YouTube to see how to remove door panels. Run remote from behind head unit to amp. You could run the speaker wire to the speaker wires connected to the head unit instead of into each door. Check out a car stereo wiring colors doagram to connect to the correct ones. Run the amp power and remote cable down one side of the car, the audio cables down the other to prevent interference.

[MENTION=237166]danxmanly[/MENTION] ; on the 2011's they have a grommet behind the glove compartment. Does ours not?

I sure thought I looked "everywhere" for an existing grommet I could have used, but might have missed one???

None the less. Battery is on driver's side, my amp is mounted on driver's side, therefore I drilled a hole on the driver's side. ;)

Like someone else mentioned, (and thanks for the shout out btw ), drilling the hole wasn't difficult. But due to double wall, securing the grommet's threaded nut was a full day job almost! :D

I sure thought I looked "everywhere" for an existing grommet I could have used, but might have missed one???

None the less. Battery is on driver's side, my amp is mounted on driver's side, therefore I drilled a hole on the driver's side. ;)

Like someone else mentioned, (and thanks for the shout out btw ), drilling the hole wasn't difficult. But due to double wall, securing the grommet's threaded nut was a full day job almost! :D

Yeah drilling mine tomorrow. I looked behind the glove box and cannot find this grommet.

Hey all, wondering if someone can troubleshoot an installation for me. I took my Explorer to an Audio shop that got great ratings. They worked on my car and were unable to replace the Sony amp with another Amp without causing issues to Sync; no voice Sync voice/ can't hear sync info over speakers.

I've upgraded the subwoofer, speakers all around, and they added a mono amp to the sub, but the rest of the car is still powered by the stock amp.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution or idea why this may be occurring?

Hey all, wondering if someone can troubleshoot an installation for me. I took my Explorer to an Audio shop that got great ratings. They worked on my car and were unable to replace the Sony amp with another Amp without causing issues to Sync; no voice Sync voice/ can't hear sync info over speakers.

I've upgraded the subwoofer, speakers all around, and they added a mono amp to the sub, but the rest of the car is still powered by the stock amp.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution or idea why this may be occurring?

Impossible to diagnose remotely.

So I did the first part of my speaker/amp/sub install this week. Put new Rockford Fosgate Punch P165-s component speakers in the front door. Was a little strange to find 4 wires going to the woofer in the door (Both pairs were White/White-Brown on the left and White-Purple/White-Orange on the right). The tweeters had their own wire (Green-orange/Grey-red). From what I can tell after taking off the back passenger side panel and getting to the factory amp, only the front door woofers are being amplified by the little amp back there. The tweeters and rear speakers are being powered by the head unit. I had to pair the 4 wires into 2 wires on the front doors to hook up the speakers but everything seems to be working well.

The amp in the 2011/2012 XLT Premium is solely for the front door 6x8 woofers. There are only 4 wires coming out of the amp, white/white-brown and white-purple/white-orange. Going into the amp is Green/Gray and Purple/Yellow which from the specs on the 12volt site say they are FL and FR Pre-Amp outputs. Gray-Red (Power), Black-Yellow (Ground), and Purple-Red (Amp-on).

I am trying to decide if it is worth cracking open the dash and putting in some LOC's from the front and rear speakers to send to the amp, or if I solder on some RCA's to the Pre-Amp inputs to the factory amp and run RCA's from there to the new 5 channel amp. If they truly are pre-amp inputs, they should already be low level signal which would be better than using the high level outputs from the amp. I know I will lose the ability to fade from front to back using the radio, but I can dial in how I want the gain on both from the amp.

Also, I found the grommet behind the glovebox. It already has a wire going through it, it is probably going to be tight pulling a 4 gauge power cable through it but it should be alright. I have pictures that I am collecting as I go and I'll link some later.

I installed my amp today in my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT (Premium Audio 8 Speaker SYNC MFT no Sony). The grommet behind the glove box worked perfectly to run the 4 gauge power wire. I'll post pictures tomorrow for the people still having problems finding it. I tried using the Amp On wire (Purple-Red) from the OEM amp in the back quarter panel but it did not work to turn on my Rockfoed Fosgate R600x5 5 channel amp. I ended up going behind the radio and using the Auto Antenna wire (Blue) which worked fine.

I did end up using the Pre-Amp in wires to the OEM amp, soldering RCA connecters on to them and then running RCA's from there to the amp Front Channels. Worked good and I used the crossovers and gain on the amp to set my Front/Rear blend.

So I got the front components in (Rockford Fosgate P165-s), the sub (pioneer TSW2505) shallow enclosure, and the amp in. Rear door speakers (Rockford Fosgate P165 two-ways) will be here this week so I can finish up the install. Really pleased with the sound so far. The bass, imaging, and clarity are light years ahead of the OEM system which is not terrible for an OEM system.

Chartman please post the pics of how you ran your power wire and the location of the grommet...

Here are the pics of the grommet location and a few others people asked to see:

4-wire woofer in Front Right Door (Paired white-purple to white- purple and white-orange to white-orange then hooked to new speaker) - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4282_zpsoggppedx.jpg

OEM amp location (non-Sony, only on 2011/2012 models) - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4302_zpsoe5lxjye.jpg

OEM Amp in (Pre-amps that I tapped into RCA's for signal to new amp, FL-Green/Grey, FR Purple/Yellow, tried to use Purple/Red as Amp On but did not work, tapped blue antenna on from behind radio as shown in previous pic in this thread, thx for that pic by the way!) - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4301_zpsvpp3187s.jpg

OEM Amp Out (FL White\White-Brown, FR White-Purple/White-Orange) - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4297_zpsknxdweme.jpg

Amp Power wire coming from beneath glove box - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4320_zpss5ihn4yk.jpg

Shot #1 of grommet - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4323_zpsbo5n5ugy.jpg

Shot #2 of grommet - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4324_zpsxy4sxk0i.jpg

Shot of grommet exit from engine side (And no I didn't leave the power wire just sitting there lol) - http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah94/Mike_Titus/IMG_4325_zpsgm6tzcpm.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions about the install, I'll try and point you in the right direction, already got so much useful stuff off these forums, I'd be happy to give back.

Chartman

Thanks Chartman, I will have to take a closer look under the glove compartment then! My plan is to run the power cable thought the firewall under the glovebox and into my ms-8 processor. I guess I only need 2 channels from the back of my factory radio into the processor, I will then output 4 channels into my jl audio hd600 amp. I'm trying to find a place where I can grab all wires and hook it up to my output on my amp so I don't have to run new speaker wires. I'm planning on either mounting the ms-8 up high under the glovebox or under the passenger seat then going over to under the driver seat where my 4 channel amp will be. does anyone know where I can grab all the speaker wires to send it out to the speakers without rerunning the wires? This is my first install so I'm trying to get all the advice I can get.

I am changing out speakers to hertz hsk components in front and hertz dcx 2 ways in the back...I'm really debating on whether or not to get a stealthbox as well... My other box with 2 Jl audio 12,s takes up to much room...

Thanks Chartman, I will have to take a closer look under the glove compartment then! My plan is to run the power cable thought the firewall under the glovebox and into my ms-8 processor. I guess I only need 2 channels from the back of my factory radio into the processor, I will then output 4 channels into my jl audio hd600 amp. I'm trying to find a place where I can grab all wires and hook it up to my output on my amp so I don't have to run new speaker wires. I'm planning on either mounting the ms-8 up high under the glovebox or under the passenger seat then going over to under the driver seat where my 4 channel amp will be. does anyone know where I can grab all the speaker wires to send it out to the speakers without rerunning the wires? This is my first install so I'm trying to get all the advice I can get.

I am changing out speakers to hertz hsk components in front and hertz dcx 2 ways in the back...I'm really debating on whether or not to get a stealthbox as well... My other box with 2 Jl audio 12,s takes up to much room...

I pulled the fronts from the out on the OEM amp and the rears from the pillars between the doors before they went in and through the grommet in the rear doors.. Didn't want to have to run new cable through the grommets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sony radio overhaul

Have 2011 limited explorer with Sony system. Something happened to make the speakers or speaker sound strange. I have always loved the factory system until the last couple of months. Am looking at replacing door speakers. Thanks for any help.

Back