2012 Explorer front speaker upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer front speaker upgrade

NuExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
BETHESDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford, Explorer, XLT
I've scoured youtube and explorerforum, and I can't find anything on this. I have a Ford Explorer 2012 XLT standard audio system and need to replace the front speakers because one went bad. I've purchased the Kenwood KFC-6996PS as a replacement.

My question is, do I need any additional cables such as a speaker connector or harness? How do I connect these new speakers to the vehicle? Online, I find speaker connectors, but none read like they are for the Ford Explorer 2012.

I'm trying to figure out if there are any additional cables I may need before disassembling the car door.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I haven't replaced any speakers but I'm guessing they are probably just 'plug & play' using the existing wiring.
There are several threads on speaker replacements so perhaps someone who has done it could confirm.

Peter

You will also need the speaker adapters (the ring the speakers sits on that is bolted to the door) and the wiring adapter (unless you want to splice wires).
I recommend Crutchfield.com as a source or Ebay:

You need a mount adapter Metra 82-5602 (assuming you're doing 6x9, they make 82-5603 for 6.5/6.75 round) and speaker adapter 72-5602. You may also be able to hack up the stock speaker and just use it as a mount and splice it's wiring. I bought adapters for my rears that didn't fit and ended up just doing that instead. At least on Sony audio cars the speaker is all plastic and you can just chop out all of the "basket" and then peel the cone off the surround and mount the speaker directly to the old "rim" of the speaker and wire into it's tinsel wiring leads and then just stick it right back on. I tossed the fronts since the adapters worked there but I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the same with those.

I just sent the OP a PM to see if he is still following.

Peter

Back