• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dies at a complete stop

Cduncan133

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Continuing from my last thread, the Explorer starts and runs fine now, but will die when coming to a complete stop unless I quickly put it in neutral. It starts up, granted I have to put my foot on the gas for it to get going. After that, it just keeps dying at complete stops, which is obviously unsafe.

When idle/park, the RPMs are anywhere from 500-700 RPMs. When it's in drive before it dies, its around 300-500 RPMS.

I've searched around the board and have seen that it could be a sensor or the fuel pump, but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any check engine lights, but it could be that. I remember I started to hear some kind of whistling noise when accelerating months ago, but completely shrugged it off.

Problem is, I can't find that elbow, my pcv valve or my iac valve. I've looked up pictures of other 4.6L and they're all different from mine.

I have an 04 Ford Explorer 4.6L Eddie Bauer.

When my 04 EB 4.6L Explorer started struggle in drive at a stop light and sometimes die all it needed was a fresh set of plugs. Problem fixed.

I don't have any check engine lights, but it could be that. I remember I started to hear some kind of whistling noise when accelerating months ago, but completely shrugged it off.

Problem is, I can't find that elbow, my pcv valve or my iac valve. I've looked up pictures of other 4.6L and they're all different from mine.

I have an 04 Ford Explorer 4.6L Eddie Bauer.

the IAC should look like the below and is attached to the throttle body.
2R3Z9F715AA-BAC__ra_p.jpg

I've got the spark plugs. Tried removing one and it was stuck! Granted, I tried this after the car was already warm. I screwed it back in and all is fine I guess. I'll tackle this job tomorrow morning as I have work. Will post results.

Its possible (At least around here) that you can test your Fuel Pressure at the auto parts store. Just ask them to let them use their Fuel Pressure testing kit. I sometimes have to do this, because I don't have an adapter for some vehicles.

Here's my update:
Dumped a can of seafoam in my gas tank (it's a full tank)
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned IAC Valve
Since I was strapped for time, I only replaced 3 spark plugs on the right side (1 had a bunch of stuff in the way, no time)

Since leaving work 30 minutes ago, my car died approximately 5-6 times. Now it dies simply by slowing down. The weirder part is that when I start to slow down, all of the lights dim, but when I accelerate it goes back to normal.

Any more help is appreciated!

Update: I changed 3 more spark plug, entire right side is done and I have two more to go on the left side (even with the air intake off the upper two on the left side is a ***** to get to)

All seemed well when I started it up, RPM's were at 1k, when driving around my apartment complex it didn't feel like it wanted to stall..Then it died. Luckily it didn't die like it was last night, it went back to dying when I suddenly stopped instead of just slowing down, making it a little more bearable to drive.

It's back down to its usual 5 rpm in park/idle.

dont forget

Don't forget to reset the PCM if you've done any cleaning on the fuel system. Your PCM may have memorized some settings and it still runs crappy. It's free to reset that PCM, so that's always a good thing to do if you've cleaned things up.

Had this same issues with mine, changed the little *******, butchered my pinky finger and she's running like a champ!

But totally worth it right?!?! Skin heals, lol

If it ain't running yet at idle in Drive, the Torque Converter Clutch is not disengaging. Kills engine just like a stick shift would with clutch engaged.

Check for codes. Odds are, if no codes present, the clutch is jammed in the torque converter. Otherwise, Torque Converter Solenoid (TCC) bad. imp

Update: Yesterday my CEL came and got the codes: P0506 (IAC circuit condition or idle speed higher/lower than expected), P0102 (Mass or Volume air flow "A" circuit low) , P0113 (Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor circuit high input) P2106 ( Throttle actuator control system - forced limited power)

Today I took the intake off, cleaned the MAF sensor again and took the butterfly valve off and cleaned that and the throttle body. Changed 1 more spark plug and have one to go. Acceleration is much better and the idle has improved a lot. In drive the idle used to sit around 300 RPM's but are now at around 600-650 (maybe even 700). Hasn't died or shown signs of dying.

I earlier reported that I cleaned the IAC. Turns out that it was my throttle position sensor that I cleaned (with throttle body/air intake cleaner). I guess my engine doesn't have a IAC after all and instead has a fly-by-wire system, and since one of the CEL codes (P0506) pertains to a IAC being dirty/faulty, I'm not sure what it could mean.

Another thing I'll add is, while it seems that I've fixed my idle problem, and my acceleration on top of that, I do feel some hesitation when accelerating. When the truck is going through the gears it just feels sluggish, as if it's underpowered. The car/engine does vibrate somewhat. I did change a spark plug while it was warm so maybe it's not in all the way? Or maybe the coil isn't full inserted on to the spark plug? Any more suggestions is appreciated, and you've all been a big help!

didn't realize you have an 04 which is throttle by wire. the throttle body is messed up and you're in limp mode. could be a bad wiring or your TPS is bad. if it's the plugs then you'll be having misfire codes too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the sluggish performance through shifting lets you know it's a ford for starters. Ford backs the timing way off when it comes for shifting. a firm shift does not exist in a ford lol

Back