• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dies while driving...

cngizbleevng

Reaction score
City, State
Boiling Springs, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.0 Flex
Loses power steering and you just have to coast to a stop (hopefully with no other traffic around).

All sorts of lights come on on the dash (my daughter drives it and I can't get more specific than that).

Shut down the car and it starts back up again as if nothing is wrong.

Battery didn't seem to be drained, since I hooked it up to a charger and it didn't take very long for it to read 'full charge'.

Last winter a similar thing happened, only I couldn't restart it and Sears Auto said the alternator and battery had to be replaced, which they did at that time.

Took it back to Sears Auto and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just throwing an idea out

when was the last time your fuel filter was replaced

When you first start it after it's cold, does it hesitate to idle until fully warmed up?

fuel filter replaced in October 2011 (about 25,000 miles ago).

As for hesitating on startup, my daughter says it does 'sometimes'.

fuel filter replaced in October 2011 (about 25,000 miles ago).

As for hesitating on startup, my daughter says it does 'sometimes'.

I have the 4.6 V8 and when it was below freezing, I'd have a hard time keeping it running without giving it gas. After about 15 min or so of driving, it would "come to life" and run normal. Turned out that I had to clean the IAC valve and now it works great.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Just ordered a replacement IAC. The problem does seem to occur in colder weather.

Replaced IAC valve. Easy job. Now we'll see if there is any improvement.

Replaced IAC valve. Easy job. Now we'll see if there is any improvement.

What motor do you have? I hope it works out for you as well! With as much tech on these things, it's always hard to figure out the root cause.

does she use the cruise control at lower speeds under 40-45 mph? my wife has used the cruise control at speeds under 40 mph and it shuts the vehicle down completely. since i have told her to not be doing that.. it hasn't shut down it since.. :salute:

So, I'm having the exact same problem, except mine is throwing a P0193 - Fuel rail pressure sensor high output code about 10 minutes before it dies. I am headed back into the shop tomorrow to reset it and try to trouble shoot it further, because they said that maybe it was just a one time thing, reset it and gave me a card to come back if it happened again. So of course it did, right after the shop closed for the day.

So, in addition to a fuel filter, my two main thoughts are:
Fuel rail pressure sensor

or

Fuel pump.

I can't figure out where to buy the sensor from online, and how do I troubleshoot down to rule out the fuel pump?
Thanks.

Back