Explorer fog light bulb replacment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer fog light bulb replacment

TeeJay023

Reaction score
City, State
Broward County, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello, im new to this forum and I have a quick question. One of my fog lights went out about a week ago and wanted to replace both of the bulbs, the housings are fine. I was thinking about going down the HID fog lights route, but I was curious if I just buy an HID bulb or a whole kit w/ a ballast and everything. And also does anyone know where I can get the cheapest one.
Thanks in-advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, im new to this forum and I have a quick question. One of my fog lights went out about a week ago and wanted to replace both of the bulbs, the housings are fine. I was thinking about going down the HID fog lights route, but I was curious if I just buy an HID bulb or a whole kit w/ a ballast and everything. And also does anyone know where I can get the cheapest one.
Thanks in-advance.

If you want to go the HID way, you will need the ballast and all. That's to get proper HIDs.
There are fake HIDs which are absolute garbage.

Also, you can probably snatch some for $30 on Ebay. Not sure how good they are, but they'll work.

The problem with HID fogs is that they turn off when you switch to high beams. Turning them on and off like that shortens their life considerably.

Just get some yellow colored halogens in there if you want to change the look.

It is cheaper too, since you can pick up a pair of bulbs for under $20 bucks.

Conversely, you can get some duplicolor metalcast yellow and paint your fog light lenses with a couple coats. This will produce a selective yellow color for your fogs. Then just put in a good quality standard halogen bulb.

The so called fake HIDs are usually advertised as HID coloured, meaning they are a blue tinted bulb. It's silly really because the blue colouring is the worst thing about HIDs.

Real HIDs are fantastic in fog, even standard halogen headlights with a HID kit in them will penetrate fog better than any fog light I've seen.

Yes, the fogs will turn off when you select high beam, unless you change the switching, but if you're driving in fog or snow are you going to be going from fogs to high beam and back again often?
The worst thing about that is that HIDs take a bit of time to warm up which is why they're not ideal in a double bulb hi lo situation luike my Mondeo (Contour). It has 35 watt HIDs H7 pattern in low beam and 100 watt Halogen H7 in high. the halogens come on straight away.

I have High Low in a H4 pattern 55 watt HID in my '97 Explorer, that works by having one bulb for both high and low but when high is selected some more of the bulb is unshrouded by a solenoid.

Many people will tell you that putting BI Xenon bulbs in a standard housing will give you a **** light pattern but I've got to wonder how many of these people have actually done it or are just repeating what they've heard?
My light pattern is very close to the standard pattern with the H4 bulb but MUCH brighter.
High beam seems a little thin though but it's ok for most situations. I'll be getting some Halogen spots for dark highway work where the 'roos are hopping about.

My standard fogs are literally useless. I haven't decided what to do there yet.

The so called fake HIDs are usually advertised as HID coloured, meaning they are a blue tinted bulb. It's silly really because the blue colouring is the worst thing about HIDs.

Real HIDs are fantastic in fog, even standard halogen headlights with a HID kit in them will penetrate fog better than any fog light I've seen.

Yes, the fogs will turn off when you select high beam, unless you change the switching, but if you're driving in fog or snow are you going to be going from fogs to high beam and back again often?
The worst thing about that is that HIDs take a bit of time to warm up which is why they're not ideal in a double bulb hi lo situation luike my Mondeo (Contour). It has 35 watt HIDs H7 pattern in low beam and 100 watt Halogen H7 in high. the halogens come on straight away.

I have High Low in a H4 pattern 55 watt HID in my '97 Explorer, that works by having one bulb for both high and low but when high is selected some more of the bulb is unshrouded by a solenoid.

Many people will tell you that putting BI Xenon bulbs in a standard housing will give you a **** light pattern but I've got to wonder how many of these people have actually done it or are just repeating what they've heard?
My light pattern is very close to the standard pattern with the H4 bulb but MUCH brighter.
High beam seems a little thin though but it's ok for most situations. I'll be getting some Halogen spots for dark highway work where the 'roos are hopping about.

My standard fogs are literally useless. I haven't decided what to do there yet.

No, you don't want a crazy amount of lumens in a fog light, and I've seen plenty of HIDs in factory housings. They make crappy beam patterns and loads of glare in US housings. E-Spec housings, like you get in Australia work significantly better than the pattern you get out of a DOT headlight, since DOT headlights are made to produce light above the centerline of the vehicle to light signs above the road, and our beam patterns aren't quite as thoroughly regulated, so the reflectors in our headlights leave more scatter.

Here are a few examples from this side of the pond of what happens when you put an HID retrofit bulb in a standard halogen housing.

g-mad_glare_disaster_hid_kit_in_halogen_housing_00.jpg

fect-lighting-mad_glare_disaster_hid_kit_in_haloge.jpg

Here's one in an e-code even, and you can see the splotchyness of the light
jetta-III-hid-vs-halogen-ecodes-low-beam.jpg

Back to US spec headlights, here is one compared to the halogen on the other side, note the difference in the patterns and the artifacts of light scattered all over elsewhere
hid1.jpg

Here's a bulb retrofit on the right, with a projector retrofit on the left
comparehid.jpg

Same thing with this one. Bulb retrofit on the near car, factory projectors on the caddy in the background
Syi0LVfNvScXyPIJgAV_S3Ho1mCtq2nR4X1YM0y96AMFxtMQUz.jpg

Here is probably one of the best bulb retrofits you will get in a halogen housing, and it still has a TON of light above the cutoff.
DSCF2673.jpg

Of course, that car has factory halogen projectors, which is the only reason it can even control the beam to this extent.

Well after much thought I decided just to replace the fog light bulbs and convert the headlights to HID's. Any suggestions on good fog light bulbs?

E-Spec housings, like you get in Australia work significantly better than the pattern you get out of a DOT headlight, since DOT headlights are made to produce light above the centerline of the vehicle to light signs above the road, and our beam patterns aren't quite as thoroughly regulated, so the reflectors in our headlights leave more scatter.

Thanks for that information, I thought I was dispelling some myths when in actual fact I was helping to promulgate them.

The standard high beam pattern of the 2 Explorers I have is a fairly narrow and well confined bar, which would work in the US too but the low beam dips left.
The foglights or whatever those things are supposed to be come on with high beam and don't have a switch.
I always assumed it was to fill in the space under the high beams when the lows go out.
That's redundant with the HIDs though.

I'm surprised that your beam patterns aren't regulated much just going by the reluctance to accept halogens all those years ago.

First rule of government regulations
Corporate money > public safety

Those blue lights WILL get you pulled over. LEDs in your fogs will also never make enough light to be useable. Get some yellow coated halogens if you want them to look different, or paint your fog lenses with a couple coats of duplicolor metalcast yellow and you will get the proper selective yellow color even.

PNP leds are rarely even bright enough for turn signals and usually don't last long.

Thanks for you guys input, but just out of curiosity does any know if DDM Tunning HID kits are any good?

Get some yellow coated halogens if you want them to look different, or paint your fog lenses with a couple coats of duplicolor metalcast yellow and you will get the proper selective yellow color even.

Do you happen to have/know of a pic of this. I was thinking about going this route.

I really appreciate it FIND. I am probably gonna go this direction myself.

Back