• Register Today It's free!

explorer mpg?

dub20

Reaction score
City, State
tupelo, ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
still lookin
i considerin buyin an explorer and was wonderin what kinda gas mileage they get on average. please post what kinda mpg u get and the info on ur explorer like year, 4dr or sport, 2 or 4wd, and most importantly v6 or v8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Mountaineer V8 AWD

I get between 12-13 with 90% city 10% highway and mostly short trips of 10 miles or less. The only mod I have is a K&N filter with boosted mileage 1 mpg.

2000 XLT V6 SOHC

about 15 mpg city. Probably around 17/18 on highway. I do the same as the last guy who posted, lots of short drives. My work is about 2 miles from my house. Hope this helps. I won't have 15mpgs anymore. More like 10. Damn super swamper tires ha.

-Drew

2000 XLS V6 OHV

I usually get 14-15mpg in the city. I was getting around 18-19mpg on the highway but that was before my K&N intake. Now I'm probably averaging just above 20mpg in ideal highway conditions.

1994 XLT Four door. 4.0 OHV, 3rd A4LD Piece of S*&$ tranny (thank god for the Ford warranty). 4X4 (auto hubs work) 134,000 miles. Just changed plugs and wires. Just ran Sea Foam through it. Used to get 11 MPG, not gets 17! I was THRILLED!

If you are looking for a 1st generation Explorer i.e 1991-1994, then make sure to ask the seller if the transmission has been rebuilt!!! If it goes, be prepared to spend about $2,000

2003 Sport 4x2

13-14 MPG in town, 20+ on the highway.

I bought my explorer the first of march and since my first tank of gas I have kept track of everything fuel related on www.gasbuddy.com. So far with highway and city traffic all combined, I have had 41 fill-ups, 16.74 average mpg, $1.724 average per gallon paid, 537 gallons purchased, and spent $925.92 total for all the gas.

I have a 98 v8 AWD and get 17 mpg mixed driving. I never get less than 14 even warming it up in the winter.

Just did a 2500 mile vacation and averaged 21.9 mpg with the 4WD AUTO disabled. Locally I get better than 17 but don't have enough miles recorded recently to give a really accurate figure. 97 V6 OHV with 160K.

When I first got mine in '98 it was 5 years old and 50k miles, I was averaging 15 in town and 19-21 on the highway (tires pumped up to 32). 3 Weeks ago I was getting 13 in town and barly able to scratch the 19-20 highway downhill - Then I lost my tranny, I seem to be getting better milage now with a Factory rebuilt, but don't have the miles to really compare yet.

1998 Xlt V6 SOHC with 3.73 gears

I usually get 16mpg in the city and around 19 on the highway. I watch how hard i hit the gas pedal but i still only get 250 miles to a full tank if i'm lucky driving around in the city.

1997 SOHC
Usually around city, I get around 20-22
On freeway, I got 29.2!!! YEEHAW!!!
This is such a contrast to my old 92 where 19 was my peak! :D :D

I get around 18 city and 23-24 highway with 31" tires... KKM conical filter and FlowMaster 40.... '91 Push-Rod with 147,x.. miles

With my 2003 V8 AWD I get around 16 mpg city and 16 mpg when towing a boat on the interstate. If I don't tow and go somewhere I can't afford the explorer while having a VW TDI.

19 city and 23 highway with 75mm TB/MAF and 24LB injectors.

RedEB said:
1997 SOHC
Usually around city, I get around 20-22
On freeway, I got 29.2!!! YEEHAW!!!
This is such a contrast to my old 92 where 19 was my peak! :D :D

Holy Shumoly! If those 2 are 4 WD your talking about then that may be 2 new records set! I have a 92 4x4. What were your mods to get you to that 19 MPG?

Holy Shumoly! If those 2 are 4 WD your talking about then that may be 2 new records set! I have a 92 4x4. What were your mods to get you to that 19 MPG?
Yeah, both are 4 WD...I had a lot of fun with the ol '92!! :D I'm waiting on 31s for my 97 before I try anything too insane. ;)
As for the mods to that 1992, I actually once got 20 mpg on the freeway but that was the peak. I had a BBK TB, Granatelli MAF, and a KKM. I used to have an Apten chip but that lowered the mpg to 15.2. :eek: :eek:
My 92 didn't always get 19-20 mpg though. I took off the whole intake assembly (lower intake, upper intake, fuel rail, etc...) and literally cleaned them with carb clean and Chem-Dip (not the fuel injectors though ;) ). That was a messy job, but it definitely helped!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RedEB said:
Yeah, both are 4 WD...I had a lot of fun with the ol '92!! :D I'm waiting on 31s for my 97 before I try anything too insane. ;)
As for the mods to that 1992, I actually once got 20 mpg on the freeway but that was the peak. I had a BBK TB, Granatelli MAF, and a KKM. I used to have an Apten chip but that lowered the mpg to 15.2. :eek: :eek:
My 92 didn't always get 19-20 mpg though. I took off the whole intake assembly (lower intake, upper intake, fuel rail, etc...) and literally cleaned them with carb clean and Chem-Dip (not the fuel injectors though ;) ). That was a messy job, but it definitely helped!!
Thats nice to know that those mods acualy do work to improve MPG. The cleaning you did sounds like the Seafoam cleaning that others are doing. Altho your method is probably better. I never tried either method.

Back