explorer mpg? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer mpg?

Thats nice to know that those mods acualy do work to improve MPG. The cleaning you did sounds like the Seafoam cleaning that others are doing. Altho your method is probably better. I never tried either method.
They do work pretty well, and they definitely improve performance. I would suspect that the seafoam would probably do just as well (maybe better :p ) than what I did. I was just afraid of hydrolock so I chickened out...at least I admit it. :D
What is your truck getting??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything you do there are always two sides to it and one has to compromise. I'm wary of fuel additive. For one you might have a real problem even is it as simple as changing the fuel filter to take care of the problem. Who knows what the additive does, maybe it's cleaning your fuel filter and sending the whole junk through the engine.

CarTalk also mention that some kind of fuel additive is already in most fuels, which makes sense.

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have an obnoxious younger brother who may be feeding me a line regarding the fuel injectors in our cars. He says that you need to buy a fuel additive and add it to the gas to clean the fuel injectors. I have a '91 Toyota MR2 and a '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo and cannot find any information in the owners' manuals regarding maintenance of the injectors. Should I break down and buy the fuel additive (and let him remind me of his high intelligence for the rest of my life) or tell him to shove off? Susan

Tom: Believe me, Susan. If anyone understands the issue of obnoxious younger brothers, I do. There's only one way to deal with him; tell him to flake off immediately. You never, ever want to give a younger brother the satisfaction of knowing that he's right. Fortunately for me, my brother's never BEEN right.

Ray: Your adorable, well-meaning, baby brother happens to be wrong in this case, Susan. All brand name gasolines now have detergents mixed into their fuels. And these detergents make "fuel injector cleaners" unnecessary.

Tom: Right. You'd be much better off spending your money changing your fuel FILTER once a year. That costs about $30, and that's by far the best thing you can do to extend the life of your fuel injectors.

I'm also wary with mods, especially since I use the explorer to do work. I can easily see an Explorer dying within a short time because you tow a trailer and have a chip that's tuned for speed performance. On the positive side though U-haus is protecting you. In any case I'd rather save my money for the next vehicle.

Bottom line the best mod to increase your mph is to get a different vehicle.

RedEB: What where the conditions for the 29.2 mpg? Tail wind and down hill can help quite a bit. What speed did you drive and over how long of a distance did you measure the mpg? How did you calculate the mpg?

I can easely reach these numbers with my board computer too if I just reset the average mpg and drive under optimal conditions for a short time.

Claus said:
I'm also wary with mods, especially since I use the explorer to do work. I can easily see an Explorer dying within a short time because you tow a trailer and have a chip that's tuned for speed performance.

In any case I'd rather save my money for the next vehicle.

Bottom line the best mod to increase your mph is to get a different vehicle.

Well, my Explorer is used in my business and as my daily driver. I have done lots of mods and have no reliability issues. I have almost 100k miles and get 30 MPG.

Then why do you have an Explorer?

I am pretty happy with 30 MPG and LOVE my truck.

aldive said:
Well, my Explorer is used in my business and as my daily driver. I have done lots of mods and have no reliability issues. I have almost 100k miles and get 30 MPG.

Then why do you have an Explorer?

I am pretty happy with 30 MPG and LOVE my truck.

To tow my boat of course. Otherwise I also use it to get the kid to daycare and me to work since I really don't want three cars. That's why an SUV and not a truck.

I save my love for my wife and kid. ;) We'll we are speaking about two differentl leagues. I have a V8 that rarely has been driven without being loaded up to the max on the interstate for any extended time. Considering this we probably can drop the quarrel here. I probably should have keept my opinion to myself in the first place. :rolleyes:

A 19' sailboat. Trailer & boat weigh about 1200 lbs.

99 OHV 4-Door 123k miles on it 33's w/3.73's and I get about 10 or 11 on the street and 15 on highway. :rolleyes: Nothing to complain about :p

92' 4-door V6 OHV 141,x.. Auto, I get about 15-16 with a mix of city/highway and with all highway I get about 21-22 mpg. Before i took out the three 12's I had in the cargo area I would get about 14 with mixed driving.

I've got a 2000 V8 AWD with 34k. I typically get 10 MPG city and maybe 15 all highway if I'm lucky. I recently had my tranny flushed at AAMCO along with the filter change and it seems that I'm getting better MPG than I was. I'll have to run the tank out first before I get excited.

RedEB: What where the conditions for the 29.2 mpg? Tail wind and down hill can help quite a bit. What speed did you drive and over how long of a distance did you measure the mpg? How did you calculate the mpg?

The conditions were 425 miles up the Sierra pass, without stopping at an average velocity of 73 mph. I did not achieve that mpg number through my trip computer...I don't have one of those so that is through the classic equation: miles driven/gallons filled. It's pretty rudimentary.

I have a 2000 XLT, 5.0, 83,000 miles, 5 previous owners, lol, use Phillips 87 octane fuel and just had my first oil change since i bought it at 80,000 miles. Around town, so far I'm getting 18 mpg. I haven't done any road trips with it yet, but, might spend a tank of fuel this coming weekend. Looking forward to seeing what the mpg is under those conditions. Also, most of my driving is at altitudes ranging from 5000 - 12,000feet above sea level.

Depending on if it's just to work and back, my 95 with synthetic oil and 160,000 miles on it gets 12 mpg (short trip and a freeway on/off ramp right at the exit of the parking lot), if it's normal city driving I get 15-16 in town, and just completed a 1600 mile round trip to Nebraska and back to Dallas, and I averaged 20-23 mpg which is normal for it's highway, I have the 3.73 axle and stock 235/75/15's.

well i've had my 99 sport about 2 weeks now and am gettin about 18mpg in mixed drivin conditions

RedEB said:
They do work pretty well, and they definitely improve performance. I would suspect that the seafoam would probably do just as well (maybe better :p ) than what I did. I was just afraid of hydrolock so I chickened out...at least I admit it. :D
What is your truck getting??
I get around 12MPG mostly around town. I may tune it up but I really don't think spending any money on anything other than a tune up is worth it to gain a few MPG. I figured out the KN filter system, open up the exahust etc. and I can buy a LOT of gas for the prices that I would have to pay for them. I don't think I put on enough miles on to justify the spending. Also, I would hate to spend too much and then have a $2,000-$3,000 trannie go on a 92. I am going to do brakes and manual hubs before the winter.
I really like my EX !

I have a 98XLT V8 and get almost 15 in mixed driving. When I am towing my 3800lb ski boat, I get 8.5 going about 75mph. 15 is the best I get.

Oldmechanic- You're absolutely right about that! The amount of money that I spent on my 92 definitely exceeded the cost of gas I would have spent. Is it monetarily worth it? Nah...Is it kinda fun when you step on it? Yah! ;)
I agree with your reasoning though.

Back