• Register Today It's free!

Explorer/Ranger Guages

tkauf

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94XLT, 94B4000, 91musgt
Somewhere in this forum there is a post regarding guages. If I recall, the poster claims a Ford Engineer told him the guages were not real guages? Does this mean they are really a type of idiot light? I have a 94 XLT with an oil pressure guage that is erratic. Sometimes it runs about 2/3 of the way up the guage at other times about 1/3. Having no problems with the engine, truck runs great. Have the same oil pressure at idle as at speed. Hard acceleration for a period of time does not effect the reading. Anyone else have some experience with this? I don't think I have any RTV material in the oil pan or a clogged screen.

Tom Kauffman

Looking puzzled

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a way to either install a resistor or remove a resistor from the oil pressure gauge circuit to make it work better. I don't know how to do it, but there are instructions somewhere on this site.

Oil pressure gauge is an idiot light. If PSI is above 5, reads in middle. Below, drops to 0 and check gage light comes on. If it's fluctuating, probably means the sender is bad. It does not show actual pressure fluctuations.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Especially Tom Lynch who confirmed my suspicions that the oil guage is really a type of idiot light. I'm going to continue with my maintenance program and not worry if the guage jumps around.

Tom Kauffman

Back